Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Change me ED CAS please?

teenyoatsteenyoats Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
edited November 2012 in University of Pennsylvania
I'm so anxious right now that I just really need to get a good baseline on what I should expect in the next 1 - 2 weeks. I'm currently attending a big public university in California. A very humanities/arts focused school - not really into the sciences at all.

I applied to the College of Arts and Sciences for the Biological Basis of Behavior major.

SAT I: 2210 (2nd sitting) = CR 760, M 730, W 720.
SAT II: 730 (Bio E), 770 (Math 2), 650 (Lit), 660 (U.S. History)

Class ranking: 8/640 (top 2%)
UW GPA: 3.92
W GPA: 4.58

Courseload: highest rigor possible. Obvious upward trend in grades (2 B's freshman year, 1 B sophomore year, 0 junior year).
- took AP Physics (3), AP Biology (5), AP Chemistry (2), AP English Lang & Comp (5), AP U.S. History (4), AP World History (4).
- as a senior: AP Calculus BC, AP Psychology, AP Environmental Science, AP English Lit, AP Psychology, AP Gov, AP Macroecon.

Member of the Southern California Junior Academy of Sciences (2012)
- publication pending for my research in phytoremediation.
Student Research Intern at prestigious public university, (2011 - present)
- worked in 3 different labs.
- publication pending for research in diabetes.
Science Olympiad, Captain (2009 - present)

Community Service:
Founder, President of World Vision Club (2010 - present)
- raised $1,000 per year in a big school-wide fundraiser. Pays for people to get an education and become self sufficient.
- 120 hours.
High School Volunteer, PVNF (2011)
- travelled to Viet Nam for 2 weeks on a medical mission to treat patients for free.
- 120 hours.

- National Merit Commended Scholar
- AP Scholar with Distinction

Alumni Interview: I think it went really really well. We talked for more than an hour, instantly connected. When we were saying goodbye, he said that I was an interesting candidate (since I told him that I had a passion for English and Neuroscience, and how that was related). Told me he learned a lot about science from me. I expanded on anything that I wasn't able to on my application, threw in some random tidbits about how I can sew, knit, crochet, embroider, etc.

- Why Penn? Wrote a very unique essay about how English and Neuroscience are related. Really quirky.
- Franklin essay. Talked about science and about being a mover. Expanded on my research on surgery last summer, and performing surgical procedure. Super nerdy.
- Common app. Extremely personal essay. Kinda risky.
- Common app short answer. Wrote about Science Olympiad and what being a good leader means to me.

Recommendation letters:
- Science Olympiad Coach: had him for AP Chem and AP Env. Science, so we're extremely close. He's like a father figure to me, and I saw the letter. It was a glowing report.
- AP English Lang. & Comp: she knew me really well, always loved my writing. I was always engaging in her class, and she knew my personality very well. Never saw the letter, I'm sure it was amazing though. She's a lovely writer.
- Counselor letter: I was one of the first kids to enter her office to ask for a letter (didn't procrastinate), so she was very attentive and candid with me. She said I had very interesting views on science. Didn't know her that well, but I think I made a good impression.

No hooks. I'm Asian and my parents are postgraduates.

Thank you for any feedback you can give me. >< I really appreciate it.
Post edited by teenyoats on

Replies to: Change me ED CAS please?

This discussion has been closed.