Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Huntsman Program at UPenn!!

TeenPhilosopherTeenPhilosopher Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
Hey, everyone! It's my dream to go to the Huntsman Program at UPenn and I was just wondering how likely I am to be accepted. The idea of being in a program specifically designed for international studies with a strong business focus -- at UPenn -- is amazing for me. I want to study Japanese, specifically. But do I have any chance at even getting in?

MAJOR STUFF:
Unweighted GPA: 3.9
Weighted GPA: 4.9
Total AP's: 13 (4 during senior year)
Studied abroad in Japan for a year.
1520 SAT, 34-35 ACT
Expect 750-800 SAT Japanese w/ Listening
Recs: Doing a Business and Sales Internship 12hrs/week at international PR firm. And exchange, but that's different. Otherwise 100 hrs random community service.

DETAILS:
Freshman and Sophomore: Went to a high-level school, took 6 AP's total through freshman and sophomore year. Mostly 5's, two 4's on the exam. I did get a B in AP Physics and a C in the first semester of freshman Pre-calc (got an A second sem) -- could that hurt my chances? Will colleges be more forgiving of blemishes on freshman grades?

Junior Year: Study Abroad in Japan for 11 months through Rotary. Awesome experience; going to write my personal essay on this. I'm advanced-intermediate (JLPT 3) in Japanese thanks to this program. I also took three AP classes online (and got all 5's and A's): AP Macro, English Lit, and Calc BC.

Senior Year, probably all A's:
AP US History
AP Art History
AP Computer Science A
AP Microeconomics
AICE Business
Dual-Enroll Calc 3 w/ Analytic Geo (Sem 1)
Dual-Enroll World Lit (Sem 1)
Dual-Enroll Introduction to Business (Sem 2)
Dual-Enroll British Lit (Sem 2)

SAT is 1520, haven't taken ACT yet but expect 34-35. Expect an SAT II in Japanese w/ Listening around 750+, maybe 780-800.

Replies to: Huntsman Program at UPenn!!

• blu5959blu5959 Registered User Posts: 316 Member
    Hey I'm applying to the Huntsman Program targeting Japanese as well, and I think you should definitely apply cuz your academics are on par! Now it's just how well you distinguish yourself from the rest of the crowd that matters. Good luck! :)
  • TeenPhilosopherTeenPhilosopher Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    Hey blu5959!

Thanks! I hope you get in as well. I took the liberty of looking at some of your other posts and came across your own scores. They're impressive, to say the least! I hope to see you at UPenn!
This discussion has been closed.