Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Go To Upenn For Undergrad To Get Into Upenn Law School?

gooduniformegooduniforme Registered User Posts: 313 Junior Member
Hey everyone, I found out some time ago that the Law School at Penn has a great program in conjunction with some university in France (Sorbonne, I think). Anyway, you'd get your JD. in the US as well as a French law license. My question is, assuming I don't change my plans, is it a good idea to attend UPenn's undergrad program, in order to make me look better when I apply to Penn's law school ? I hear Law schools at certain universities like to admit students from diff. schools other than their own. Please advise, thank you.
Post edited by gooduniforme on

Replies to: Go To Upenn For Undergrad To Get Into Upenn Law School?

• WilliamCWilliamC Registered User Posts: 785 Member
    Pretty much all elite universities prefer not to admit their undergrads to their graduate schools unless a significant amount of time has passed since graduation. Law school is a little different however since you'e unlikely to have encountered any of the law faculty during your undergrad years. For example, Penn has a neat submatriculation program where you overlap your BA and JD.

There is also some evidence that the Ivies tend to favor their own in law school admissions.

All that said, remember that law school admission is almost completely a numbers game - given a good undergrad university, your GPA and LSAT score will be huge factors in admission.

Finally, don't be afraid to call admissions departments and ask questions - you'll get better answers than you will here!
  • thinkjose1thinkjose1 Registered User Posts: 1,427 Senior Member
    >> There is also some evidence that the Ivies tend to favor their own in law school admissions.

Yup.
  • gooduniformegooduniforme Registered User Posts: 313 Junior Member
    thanks for the replies WilliamC and thinkjose1.
This discussion has been closed.