Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Wharton with a language profile???

pearfirepearfire Registered User Posts: 1,313 Senior Member
Hey guys,

I'm interested in applying to Wharton UG, but I kinda dont fit into the common Wharton applicant pool... I've got a very language based profile and basically only language awards... althoug I've taken Calc AB and BC I've never received any prestigious math awards, so I'm not sure whether I should really apply for Wharton... What do you think? I mean will the Wharton adcoms think: Why didnt this guys do stuff related to business?
Post edited by pearfire on

Replies to: Wharton with a language profile???

• excelexcel Registered User Posts: 2,233 Senior Member
    no...you dont have to have business related stuff....but it would look good.
  • pearfirepearfire Registered User Posts: 1,313 Senior Member
    well... but its a business school... and languages dont really relate to business
  • jimbob1225jimbob1225 Registered User Posts: 3,457 Senior Member
    well if you're good at languages, consider applying for the huntsman (look it up)
    knowing languages is good for business (international business)
  • tenebrousfiretenebrousfire Registered User Posts: 2,531 Senior Member
    wharton has a foreign language requirement. 'nuff said.

http://undergrad.wharton.upenn.edu/curriculum/foreign_language.cfm

if you want to do business, by all means, apply.
  • bern700bern700 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,191 Senior Member
    btw a LARGE percentage of wharton ug speaks at least 2 languages (i speak 3 and know people who speak upto 6).
    um... I've look up the huntsman program, and I dont think I stand a chance at all... I mean they only admit 40 students!!! 40!!! thats like nothing... also, I'm an international applicant from germany and I will apply for FA, so that will hurt me as well... furthmore, I do speak 4 languages(english, german, chinese and french) fluently and have won the most prestigious language contest in germany, but I have no big math awards at all... on the website it says that you should be oustanding in BOTH math and languages... also how much is ED gonna help me, considering that I am international and will need FA?
    It will be really REALLY hard for you because you are a international and FA.

What are your stats?
  • bern700bern700 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,191 Senior Member
    i never had any math awards...i'm actually pretty bad at math. I had language awards/certifications/etc. and am an int'l as well.
  • jimbob1225jimbob1225 Registered User Posts: 3,457 Senior Member
    i know 2 people who got the huntsman and honestly they're not scary people...one of them gets drunk every weekend and the other one is pretty typical penn student (i went to high school with both and wasn't bowled over)

still impressive of course...not trying to bring them down
    did u get into the huntsman program? wut r ur stats? how did u do it? lol... stupid q, but wutever^^
    well...
    sat 2300
    math II 750(retake?) french L (800)
    #1 in class, about 80 ppl
    predicted 1.0 abitur, best possible
    national language award
    violine since 9, play 1st violine in Goslar chamber orchestra (won a national title and had a huge performance(even the governor of r state came))
    captain of a few sports
    several other sports
    chinese teacher at a uni
    language tutor
    leader of an international workcamp for college students

thats wut comes to my mind right now, might be more
  • RudessRudess Registered User Posts: 587 Member
    By all means apply to Wharton if business is what you want.
    I concur .
  • kyzankyzan Registered User Posts: 700 Member
    impressive, you definitely would be very competitive as a domestic appliant but i do not know about the international pool :(
This discussion has been closed.