Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why should you choose UPenn from other Ivy League colleges?

nicolas.cdcnicolas.cdc Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
edited January 2011 in University of Pennsylvania
Just that, I'd like to you, upenn's students to tell me why Upenn's the best college for future leaders

please ^^
Post edited by nicolas.cdc on

Replies to: Why should you choose UPenn from other Ivy League colleges?

• legendofmaxlegendofmax Registered User Posts: 4,737 Senior Member
    I had some really nice college choices but I picked Penn because it seemed really flexible. It's really good at letting you explore virtually any subject you want. Also cheesesteaks.
  • Lucky98Lucky98 Registered User Posts: 443 Member
    Wharton!!!!
  • tenebrousfiretenebrousfire Registered User Posts: 2,531 Senior Member
    hey day. econ scream. and perhaps spring fling.
  • JohnnyKJohnnyK - Posts: 2,156 Senior Member
    -It's the only Ivy that has a real city, (because being in the middle of nowhere will get real old real fast) but the real city isn't so expansive that it overwhelms and sucks the energy out of campus life--so you get the cultural, social, and economic and do-random-stuff opportunities of a city but still the feel of a real cohesive campus community. Good luck getting to, say, Chinatown from Hanover...

-Wharton (and I say this as a SAS student). I personally think business undergrad is a terrible way to spend your college years, but regardless it gives me opportunities to take cool classes I just can't take at other Ivies, like my favorite--Negotiations. Exposure to Wharton will also make you more comfortable living within a business mentality, and you'll pick up valuable biz skills that will come in handy later...I wouldn't be interning in Singapore if it weren't for these skills.

-Progress--the campus is undergoing all sorts of new construction that will come to fruition anywhere from this fall to 20 years from now. There's a spirit of progress, of change, and moving--UP.

-I just have to say how great the campus-in-the-city thing is again. It's amazing how you can sit in a grassy field and then walk to the next block and it's urban madness.

-School spirit is great.

-the creperie in Houston Hall. Beyond spectacular.

-10,000 undergrads+another 10,000 grad students makes for quite a big alumni network

The real question is why WOULDN'T you go to penn ;)
  • liangshengtmliangshengtm Registered User Posts: 741 Member
    Wharton......................
  • abcfoxabcfox Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    "It's the only Ivy that has a real city"

soooo... What would you call Columbia?
  • Gold DuckGold Duck Registered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
    "but the real city isn't so expansive that it overwhelms and sucks the energy out of campus life" <-Columbia's problem
  • ThomasH32ThomasH32 Registered User Posts: 731 Member
    Hey, Penn is just as good as the other Ivies. I don't really think one Ivy is better than the other. They're all just different. It depends on what you are looking for in an Ivy experience. Do you want a small town and environment in which to spend the next four years, or do you want the experience of a diverse campus in one of the most popular cities in the world? I would think Columbia and Penn would be relatively similiar. May I add that Philly is one of the fastest growing cities in the nation now. Because of all of the regentrified neighborhoods, Philly is becoming more and more popular with young professionals and families. They are really building this city up nicely.
  • eighteenforluckeighteenforluck Registered User Posts: 475 Member
    Come here for the spirit. Come here so that you can stroll down Locust Walk every day and see students salsa dancing, hula-hooping, soliciting amateurs to try out for intramural frisbee teams, and handing out free hot chocolate to passersby on a cold winter morning. Come here so you can throw toast from the Franklin Field bleachers in a "toast" to dear old Penn. Come here 'cause we're crazy, and we're smart, and we're fun...and we love it.
  • countrytoconcretecountrytoconcrete Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    JohnnyK and eighteenforluck pretty much sum up the Penn experience... so I second those.

Also, make sure to call it "Penn" rather than "UPenn" on your application and such... there is a long and complicated story behind the repeated use of "UPenn" on server names and such, but the admissions office actually looks down upon applicants who use "UPenn" since that use of branding appears nowhere else. Unfair and ridiculous, maybe, but fact, yes.
  • Shreveport87Shreveport87 Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    I know why.... because it rocks.
  • lurkermomlurkermom Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    It's the only Ivy with a communications major.
  • davida1davida1 . Posts: 312 Member
    "May I add that Philly is one of the fastest growing cities in the nation now."

Actually the opposite is true. Philadelphia, like Detroit is a city that is rife with povery and violence since it lost its middle class with industrial jobs going overseas and the dismantling of the U.S. middle class. While the city is trying to grow and make itself look more attractive, it is far from becoming the vibrant place economically and socially that it seeks to be.

"Because of all of the regentrified neighborhoods, Philly is becoming more and more popular with young professionals and families. They are really building this city up nicely."

This is a kind of rhetoric that Penn and city officials/marketing people proliferate. I understand why this may be your perception, and the city is certainly attempting to move towards this, but the numbers simply aren't there yet.
  • davida1davida1 . Posts: 312 Member
    It's funny how Penn people are quick to say it's an "Ivy". Penn is not Harvard or Yale and prospective students should know that. Penn uses its Ivy status like Star Jones used her celebrity status to pay for her wedding.
  • ThomasH32ThomasH32 Registered User Posts: 731 Member
    davida1...Did you go to Penn? I was just wondering how someone could know the quality of a school unless they went there themselves.
This discussion has been closed.