Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Penn Class of 2023 ED Results ONLY

124»

Replies to: Penn Class of 2023 ED Results ONLY

• thejewishstarthejewishstar Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Decision: Deferred - Wharton

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown M/CR/W/Essay): 1560 -- 790/770
    SAT I superscore (breakdown M/CR/W/Essay): one sitting
    ACT (breakdown): 34 single sitting composite
    ACT superscore (breakdown): 35 -- 34e/36m/34r/36s two attempts
    SAT II (subject, score): 800s on math 2 and physics
    Unweighted/Weighted GPA: 4.00UW ~4.5W
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable):N/a
    AP/IB (place score in parentheses):All 5s on Ap BC, Physics 1 C mech and E&M APUSH APGOV and a 6 on ib hl math
    Senior Year Course Load:AP econ Ap chem IB further math, ib english hl, ib german hl
    Number of other ED applicants in your school: none i think
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel, etc.):none oof
    Common Awards (AP Scholar, honor roll, NM things, etc.): Aps, Nat merit com, AIME qualifier

Subjective:
    Extracurriculars (name, grade levels, leadership, description): NHS VP volunteer organization and started a tutoring initiative thing after school cuz I like to tutor, 1st tenor sax in Band up until senior year bc work, pres of math club, member at my local jewish temple.
    Job/Work Experience: Grocery stock clerk like 18 hrs a week sometimes less
    Volunteer/Community Service: see above
    Summer Experience: video games, helped some friends when they organized a tedx
    Teacher Recommendation #1: Math teacher, we get along swimmingly
    Teacher Recommendation #2: German teacher, awesome guy, let me tell him some stuff to write
    Counselor Rec: she's nice i talk to her some idk how unique tho
    Additional Info/Rec: n/a
    Interview: Really good, we had a lot in common the guy was really awesome and nice and said he would 'sing my praises', but honestly I dont know how much they look at the interveiw unless you cuss them out or dont show up, but still probably my favorite part of the app.

Writing (Subject, 1-10 rating, details):
    Why Penn: I obviously thought it was pretty dope or I wouldn't have submitted it lol
    Any dual-degree program essays: none
    CommonApp Essay: ^^

Other:
    Date Submitted App: 10/31/18
    Applied for Financial Aid? Yes please
    U.S. State/Territory or Country: O-H--I-O
    School Type: Public and good, but not one of those whack schools. ACT avg is like 24 for reference
    Ethnicity: White jew
    Income Bracket Range: middle class suburbia
    Hooks (URM, first generation, recruited athelete, development): One of my uncles went to penn like 40 years ago and is a firefighter now so idk if that matters or not.

Reflection
    Strengths: grades, scores, recs..... essays?
    Weaknesses: ECs are kinda generic and I didn't start anything super special
    Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Idk yet hopefully i get in somewhere lol
    What would you have done differently?: Probably nothing this is better than I expected. Biggest help probably would've been if I came back from my Acl injury to play sports to make me more attractive to schools but that wouldn't have been good for my health in all likelihood so I'd say I'm pleased with ending up where I did. There's always the Wharton meme of "I could've started a business" but idk how true that really is, they want uniqueness more than that I think. This gives me confidence with my chances at other schools for RD. Penn as a whole I don't believe defers more than they accept ED so i assume wharton does the same so Defer means like ~top30% not too shabby.

PS CC keeps on glitching so sorry if these gets posted multiple times

Update 3/28/19: Rejected regular, so it goes, good luck future peeps.
  • booksforlife01booksforlife01 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    [ color=green] Decision: Accepted - Wharton[ /color]

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown M/CR/W/Essay): Highest: 790 Math/ 690 Reading/Writing
    SAT I superscore (breakdown M/CR/W/Essay): 790 Math/ 710 Reading Writing
    ACT (breakdown): Highest: 34 Comp: 35 Math, 31 Science, 35 English, 34 Reading
    ACT superscore (breakdown): 35: 35 Math, 33 Science, 35 english, 35 reading
    SAT II (subject, score): 800 Math 2
    Unweighted/Weighted GPA: 3.95/4.0 and 5.39/6.0
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 10/364
    AP/IB (place score in parentheses):
    5s: AP Macro, AP Micro, AP Stats,
    4s: AP Eng Lit, AP Eng Lang, AP World History, AP Comp Gov, AP Environmental,
    3s: AP US gov, AP Human Geo
    Math SL: 6
    Senior Year Course Load:
    Calculus 2&3 with Analytical Geometry, IB History HL, IB English HL, IB Psychology HL, IB Spanish B SL, IB Chemistry SL
    Number of other ED applicants in your school:
    1 that i know of
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel, etc.):
    FBLA Business Mathematics 3rd in district
    Spanish Conference: Top award
    Debate; Numerous speaking awards for Congress
    Common Awards (AP Scholar, honor roll, NM things, etc.):
    AP National Scholar, Straight Honor roll, National Honor Society.

Subjective:
    Extracurriculars (name, grade levels, leadership, description):
    Job/Work Experience:
    Volunteer/Community Service:
    Summer Experience: I interned at the state attorney's office for two summers. It was unpaid and only 3 days a week, but
    Teacher Recommendation #1: 8/10. I had the teacher for two years and she really enjoyed having me because a lot of students didn't take her seriously. I took comp gov with her and told her about how it led to my itnerest in international finance, so she liked that.
    Teacher Recommendation #2: 6/10. The teacher actually hated me last year, because I wasn't very enthusiastic, but i worked hard to get on her good side and we had a joking relationship at the end of the year. I'm really good at math so that's really why I asked her.
    Counselor Rec: 7/10. If he filled out what I provided on the RecLetterTool, it should be okay. he knew i was serious about my studies so I would hope that he put in his best effort.
    Additional Info/Rec:
    Interview: 7/10. It was okay but nothing that special. We mostly just talked about his experience at Penn, and i threw in some details while i could, but he didn't seem too interested in what I wanted to do at penn.

Writing (Subject, 1-10 rating, details):
    Why Penn: 9/10. I spent two weeks there over the summer and it really helped me get a feel for the penn environment and campus. I showed confidence in being accepted to penn, and made it clear that I would use all of Penn's resources to my advantage.
    Any dual-degree program essays:
    CommonApp Essay: 9/10. I talked about a health issue and how i turned it from something that could've ruined my life into an opportunity for me to grow and help other people.

Other:
    Date Submitted App: 10/20
    Applied for Financial Aid? Yes but did not receive
    U.S. State/Territory or Country: Florida
    School Type: Public
    Ethnicity: Asian
    Income Bracket Range: >200,000
    Hooks (URM, first generation, recruited athelete, development): Female.

Reflection

Strengths: I spent two weeks at Penn and was really invovled in their high school program (KWHS). I think my grades and scores put me in the running, but my interest and pursuance into wanting to make penn my home really brought me on top. My essay really made connections between what I have been doing, to what I would do should I be accepted to Penn. To future applicants, make sure that you have done your research ab what Penn looks for! Just finding stats and classes online doesn't show true interest.

Weaknesses: I didn't really have any business ECs or non-profits going on.
    Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Haven't received any back.
    What would you have done differently?:

Other Factors: