right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

UPenn 2024 Waitlist

west2east20west2east20 207 replies1 threads Junior Member
Hi all, my D was waitlisted for Wharton and is finalizing her LOCI and confirming her spot on the waitlist. She was also waitlisted at Berkeley, Accepted to UW Comp Sci and UCLA. Thought I’d make a new topic for others on the Penn waitlist. Be interesting to see how Covid impacts possible openings. Wharton is her first choice.
edited July 9
304 replies
Post edited by ccadminkris on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UPenn 2024 Waitlist

• gratefulmamagratefulmama 387 replies11 threads Member
    What’s LOCI?
    My D was waitlisted for Wharton as well. I read somewhere that UPenn only took 9 kids off the waitlist last year. It’s anyone’s guess how admissions will be effected this year with COVID-19. Either way, I think it’s safer to base chances on previous years stats then build false hopes. If my D gets unexpected news later that she’s been accepted, she will be blown away and celebrate. For now, she has to plan and decide on the options she has in hand.
    Best of luck to your D! My oldest is at UCLA and loves it!
    · Reply · Share
  • west2east20west2east20 207 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Letter of Continued Interest. Yea, no idea if their weight-list is gonna be tapped at all this year. I keep hearing good things about UCLA, sad that alumni scholarship is no longer an option.
    · Reply · Share
    LOCI - I should have known. Sorry!

As for the alumni scholarship, I’ve read posts that some kids didn’t hear in previous years until the summer. I could be wrong but I think it’s one of the few scholarships that gets passed down when another kid passes and decides on another school.

· Reply · Share
  • mayagray3104mayagray3104 3 replies0 threads New Member
    waitlisted also :(
    · Reply · Share
    Oh gee I’m such a goof, weight-list? I guess this quarantine thing is impacting my waistline and my brain! Lol
    · Reply · Share
  • myy2468myy2468 6 replies0 threads New Member
    Are you guys sending your letter of continued interest to your regional admissions officer or only uploading it to your portal?
    · Reply · Share
    My D uploaded it and also sent an email attaching it to the representative covering our state. She got a return email acknowledging receipt of it.
    · Reply · Share
  • hehehahahehehaha 55 replies3 threads Junior Member
    did anyone get the upenn waitlist update email?
    · Reply · Share
  • yungcollegeappyungcollegeapp 19 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I also got the email. I was waitlisted to Wharton. Still kind of schockes I even made the waitlist.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes, daughter got the email!
    · Reply · Share
  • kys7761kys7761 1 replies0 threads New Member
    edited April 8
    Also got the waitlist update. Does this mean anything?
    edited April 8
    · Reply · Share
    @kys7761 I don’t read anything into it, other than confirming receipt of applicants wanting a spot on the list. Wish it meant something positive, but I think it’s neutral.
    · Reply · Share
  • yungcollegeappyungcollegeapp 19 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Do you guys think more people will get off the waitlist this year because of Coronavirus?
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 8
    In general I believe yes. But if Penn does like 2018-2019, inviting 3500 kids on the wl and 2500 accept wl, and they only need 9, that kinda stinks. They certainly don’t take the volume that a place like Berkeley does.
    edited April 8
    · Reply · Share
  • Papa1977Papa1977 50 replies1 threads Junior Member
    edited April 8
    wait list update e-mail here. They make it sound so positive asking for financial aid to be up to date and hoping to be in touch soon. But we know better.
    edited April 8
    · Reply · Share
  • myy2468myy2468 6 replies0 threads New Member
    https://www.page217.org/reply-dates-for-enrollment-may-1-june-1-other/

Dean Furda said that he expects the waitlist to be "utilized heavily this year." There's still hope!
    · Reply · Share
  • nicolas13120nicolas13120 5 replies0 threads New Member
    Does "utilized heavily" mean more people waitlisted this year?
    · Reply · Share
    @nicolas13120 let’s hope they didn’t extend waitlist invites to 3500 students like last year and let’s hope it means substantially more than 9 are given acceptances.
    · Reply · Share
    Correction from my earlier response: In 2018 - UPenn accepted 9 off the waitlist but last year, 2019 - they accepted 101 off the waitlist. Based on the common data set:
    https://www.upenn.edu/ir/commondataset.html
    The common data set doesn’t breakdown the acceptances based on specific college, which would be interesting to know.
    · Reply · Share
    @gratefulmama you are correct, better numbers than 18, I grabbed the wrong year. Fingers crossed on this one!
    · Reply · Share