Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.
bongo23bongo23 Registered User Posts: 975 Member
edited March 2005 in University of Pennsylvania
I'm really interested in going to Wharton (which I know is extremely competitive)

I was wondering if my SAT scores were goo enough (780v. 650m. <---math should go up on new test which I will get back on 11th)

What Sat II's should I take...I think I might take World, Chem and Math IC or IIC <
which one is better? IIC you get low percentage but high grade while IC you get higher percentage...does UPENN care?

Also, my Ecs are service oriented and instead of having leadership positions, I created alot of clubs (I feel that holding a leadership position is just a title and I'd rather help my school by creating programs...does that matter?)
I also created a website for a financing/insurance company

By the end of senoir year, I will have taken 10 APs...good or bad?

I just want to know if I'm on the right track...college admissions are very competitive and I just want a decent shot

If you guys don't think I'll cut it at UPENN admissions, could you give me some other business undergraduate programs that excel in insurance or finance? Thanks alot!

PS: No URM and Male
Post edited by bongo23 on

Replies to: Wharton

• drop65drop65 Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    My advice: Take the Math 2c, up that math SAT I score, and try to convey your involvement in your ECs via your app or through your gc. If you are interested in finance, Stern (at NYU) is a close second behind Wharton.
  • nyusternmannyusternman Registered User Posts: 225 Junior Member
    Stern finance is better than Wharton finance-the grad and phd programs are consistently ranked #1. and given its location and faculty quality, i expect Stern MBA to be top 5 overall within 5 years
  • bern700bern700 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,191 Senior Member
    good joke, april fools isn't for another day
  • quakermanquakerman Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    He's telling the truth.
  • rhys1118rhys1118 Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    First of all, we're talking undergraduate business programs. A sampling:

US News 2005 Undergraduate Business (specialty: finance)
    1. Wharton
    2. Stern
    3. Ross (UMichigan-Ann Arbor)

" " (specialty: insurance/risk management)
    1. Wharton
    2. UWisconsin-Madison
    3. Robinson (Georgia State)

But for your interest:
    in graduate programs, for finance

1. Wharton
    2. UChicago GSB
    3. Stern

Of course, not to discount Stern's finance programs, which *are* top-notch. :) Both Stern and Wharton have excellent recruiting from companies in NYC. Other schools to look for are the standard ones of course: Michigan-Ann Arbor, Northwestern (Kellogg), etc etc.

Personally, though, chances are the discrepancies within each of these school's quality in individual specializations are not going to be big. Choose whichever provides the best overall education, best overall experience, etc etc.

Also, undergrad/grad business school rankings have been an oft-discussed topic. Do "search" and find some old threads on this, esp. in the business major and mba forums. There might be some in the college search and college life forums too.
    Saves quakerman and bern (and others, of course) from getting into another long discussion about stern vs. wharton and repeating all the old arguments/contentions/stats. :)

Happy searching.

PS: your info looks fine. pay attention to drop65's advice.
  • bongo23bongo23 Registered User Posts: 975 Member
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the advice and I'll search the forums for other topics on rankings/undergrad biz
  • thinkjose1thinkjose1 Registered User Posts: 1,427 Senior Member
    I didn't even know about Stern. :(
This discussion has been closed.