Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Debating experience in UPenn

bccdhppybccdhppy Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
edited October 2009 in University of Pennsylvania
I heard that Upenn likes the applicants having debating experience/debate team president? is that true
Please comment on that
Post edited by bccdhppy on

Replies to: Debating experience in UPenn

• tenebrousfiretenebrousfire Registered User Posts: 2,531 Senior Member
    it doesn't hurt your application to provide evidence that you can speak well
  • srrinathsrrinath Registered User Posts: 2,363 Senior Member
    I have no idea what grounds such a rumor was based on but this is probably a classic case of association being mistaken for causation. Most debaters (especially captains or presidents) are logical and well-informed creatures. Those are skills that pay off in many areas of one's academic life and hence lead them to score well in school and on standardized testing and such. You may be skeptical of this, but I've found this to be overwhelmingly true of most half-decent debaters. So UPenn, like any other college, takes a student not for being a debate captain alone but for showing (in various parts of an app) the skills that debate captains have and that colleges want. And of course, as explained above, your oratorical prowess isn't exactly a turn-off.
  • SusieBraSusieBra Registered User Posts: 638 Member
    Srrinath: That's a great comment.

I was a debate captain in HS, but a lot of people do debate in HS. It's ultimately about the skills that you derive from the experience.

Debate isn't for everyone and it ISN'T necessary to get into Penn.

Do whatever you're passionate about. That's what counts.
This discussion has been closed.