Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

workload at UPenn

HdGchik92HdGchik92 Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
Yeah I know, its an Ivy. But I've always wondered how much work comes with an Ivy education. In the rare chance that I actually get in to UPenn, it would be nice to know if I could handle the work. I know it wont be easy, much more than high school. But as comparison, I'm taking four AP classes now (Calc BC, Lit, Econ/Govnt, Physics) and took five last year (Calc AB, Language, Music Theory, U.S. history, Chem). So how does that workload compare to a Penn workload?
Post edited by HdGchik92 on

Replies to: workload at UPenn

• nate24nate24 Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Depends on your major... If you are in Engineering, it will be like taking your class load right now with another science in there (plus a bit more competition). If you are planning on going to the college/wharton it will be significantly harder but not much more work. I do about 2 hours of homework/studying a night. (except when it comes to exams...) Think: more intense inside the class/while doing hw, but less of it.

It is not as bad as one would think.
  • necrophiliacnecrophiliac Registered User Posts: 1,061 Senior Member
    I haven't worked this little since freshman year of high school (before I took any AP classes). For reference, I am taking:

Math 114 (calc II)
    FNCE 103 (Joseph Wharton Scholar Economics)
    Management 100
    Soviet Economics
    Rus360 (Russian for Russian speakers)

Math is like 4 hours of work/ week
    FNCE is like 3 hours of work / week
    Management is like 2 hours of work / week ...thus far
    Soviet econ is 0 hours of work / week
    Russian is like 3 hours of work / week

Honest estimates
  • AwpedAwped Registered User Posts: 649 Member
    Don't worry...management will soon consume your life
  • NeviarNeviar Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    nate24 wrote:
    Depends on your major... If you are in Engineering, it will be like taking your class load right now with another science in there (plus a bit more competition). If you are planning on going to the college/wharton it will be significantly harder but not much more work.

Nate, I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about. Engineering classes are definitely very difficult, at least much more so than the typical college class, that's for sure.
  • wayward_trojanwayward_trojan Registered User Posts: 1,301 Senior Member
    It depends on how seriously you take school. It can be pretty stressful if you're unable to manage your time, but it's really a question of your work ethic and standards you set for yourself.
  • alittlelovealittlelove Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    how is the workload and difficulty for people majoring in biology/chemistry and doing premed?
  • ChoklitRainChoklitRain - Posts: 2,625 Senior Member
    if you're honestly incapable of handling the work, they won't let you in. so don't worry about that aspect.
  • mattwondermattwonder Registered User Posts: 1,267 Senior Member
    ChoklitRain's point is pretty close to reality. I don't know anyone who genuinely suffers because of the workload. It's more that partying/recruiting/video games/bfs or gfs/jobs/clubs/activities/family issues get in the way

Your Penn education will be a big workload, and if it isnt, you should take the steps to make it so. Think of it this way - if you're not sufficiently challenged during most of your college experience, you're wasting your time. Penn certainly provides you with the opportunity to pick up more challenges.
  • TevashSzatTevashSzat Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    Personally, I've found my workload at Penn to me much higher than in high school but thats probably more because of the classes I'm taking.

Chem 22 (Vagelos MLS Seminar)
    Organic Chemistry (Chem 241)
    Physics 150
    Math 114
    Chinese 031
  • tennisjumptennisjump Registered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
    A normal workload that most students take is not difficult with regard to doing enough work to get in the b range. Most of my engineering friends say that 6.5-7 classes is the tipping point for them, when their lives turn into nothing but work. As a student in Wharton, 5 classes is pretty easy even though 4 of them are in the core. That being said, finals will be stressful.

Bottom line, don't worry about workload, you will be able to handle it as long as you don't expect to get a 4.0

If that is what you expect, well that's another story...
  • necrophiliacnecrophiliac Registered User Posts: 1,061 Senior Member
    In all, unless you're doing a dual degree program, the workload is very manageable. You have plenty of time to get together with friends and to engage in extra curricular activities.

If you're doing a dual degree, you will have considerably more work but you will still be able to socialize and get involved, although to a lesser degree.
  • HdGchik92HdGchik92 Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    Thanks guys! haha, that makes me feel so much better!
  • srrinathsrrinath Registered User Posts: 2,363 Senior Member
    Personal opinion:

There's no point going to an Ivy only to spend four years cruising through on light workloads. If you want a light workload, you can probably find that and the same would go for killer courseloads. I would advise that you follow a more rigorous path wherever you can. It'll be to your own benefit
This discussion has been closed.