right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

scholarships

Rmac2188Rmac2188 376 replies36 threads Member
edited April 2006 in University of Pittsburgh
I was accepted to the honors college in November, without sending an essay or teacher recommendations or anything - just transcript and sat scores (top 10 percent, lots of APs, SAT (780v, 710m, 740w), and SAT IIs (620 math i and 740 literature). In december i sent in my essay and my teacher recommendations (i checked the box on the application that i would be sending them later) and havent heard anything about any sort of scholarships - should i assume that im not getting anything at this point? thanks
edited April 2006
52 replies
Post edited by Rmac2188 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: scholarships

• lkf725lkf725 4596 replies184 threads Senior Member
    You should call the admissions office to find out. I think my son got separate letters at different times for honors and engineering scholarships. But I think it might be too late for the Chancellors scholarship. If you are a minority, there are several other scholarships that you can apply for.
    http://www.pitt.edu/~oafa/schlrs.html
    · Reply · Share
  • Rmac2188Rmac2188 376 replies36 threads Member
    just called - they're still sending scholarships out. thanks for the response.
    · Reply · Share
  • venom428venom428 35 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Do you know when they will stop sending out scholarships. I was accepted to the honors college with a 630 V and 700 M but I am ranked 2 in my class of 564. I am going to have to make a decision between Pitt, Johns Hopkins, and UPenn assuming I get into the latter two. My decision to go to Pitt would be largely based on any money they give. Does Pitt give partial scholarships as well as the full tuition ones? Will I be notified in april with any financial aid package they might offer? If anyone knows anything it would be a great help. Thank you.
    · Reply · Share
  • Lex248Lex248 149 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Yes Pitt gives partial and full scholarships...i received a full scholarship around the end of Nov. or beginning of Dec....but I had similar stats to yours (upper 1400s SAT and 1st in class) ...so I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get merit money :) ... If you applied later, then I don't think you will find out if you got a scholarship until close to the college decision deadline for Pitt (I think it is May 1st?)...as for financial aid, I don't know when the offers come out and I doubt that they would send me one anyway now that I have a full scholarship...
    · Reply · Share
  • kinkosmomkinkosmom 134 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Concerning whether it is too late to apply for scholarships and why people were not sent forms, my experience is (and this relates to all colleges) people (including myself) post on cc with all sorts of questions and concerns and other ccers answer with all sorts of speculations or advice based on their personal histories.

This may sometimes be helpful but when it comes to very specific concrete questions concerning deadlines and school policies and procedures, it is always best to call the school directly. I was recently on a thread where all kinds of different speculations were being circulated about a specific school procedure and a two second call to Admissions clarified the matter and showed me that all of the speculations people were making were dead wrong.

This process is fraught and it is much more helpful, I have found recently, to simply call admissions and ask, "How do I find out about scholarships, do I qualify and is it too late to apply?" You will be relieved with an immediate and accurate answer.

In short, cc is great for getting the inside info that admissions may not tell you--what is the atmosphere, what are specific dorms like, how strong is a particular major and how good are most of the profs in that major, is there a strong frat. presence. . .that kind of thing.

But, when it comes to policies and deadlines, it is best to get the answer directly from the horse's mouth; otherwise you may inadvertently be given misinformation. Everyone on cc is really kind and helpful but direct facts from the school is always better than anecdotal information and speculation when it comes to policies--eg. when do they send out letters of acceptance; do acceptance letters get send before rejections, are they need blind, etc!!

Hope this wisdom (from someone who has been stressed out by some things said on cc and then later relieved after talking with the school officials themselves)helps alleviate some of the stress.

Now, I have an insider question. Would current students answer? What is the atmosphere like at University of Pittsburg--especially in the Honors program? Do you find that kids in Honors tend to bond? Is the university an intellectually rich climate? Is the party atmosphere the strongest tone of the school? How do non-frat/big party/drinking types socialize? Do you find that the Honors administration treats you in a more personal way? ONe hears about large universitys like U. of Wisconsin, Uof Maryland, Penn State, etc. that you are just a number and I think many students at those schools (even when they love their schools) admit that this is true. Would you say that this is the atmosphere of Pitt as well? Does it feel large and impersonal? How do you find the professors? In other words, does it seem more like a big state school or a small liberal arts college (or does Honors seem to feel like a small liberal arts college?) or something in between? I would greatly appreciate hearing from those who are there or who know the school climate and faculty well. THANKS. AND BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE
    · Reply · Share
    Lex 248: Will you be attending Pitt? With your excellents stats, it seems you could go almost anywhere. How much do you know about Pitt? Do you feel that you will find like minded individuals there? I am curious Thanks for your insights?
    · Reply · Share
  • chrisdchrisd 474 replies23 threads Member
    There have been lots of posters here with great stats, and getting some great scholarships. I wonder how many of these posters are seriously planning on attending Pitt, and how many consider Pitt their back-up or safety choice?
    · Reply · Share
    Kinkosmom: Thanks for the compliments! YES!! I will most definitely be attending Pitt next year! I have probably spent more time researching Pitt than researching all of my other potential colleges combined! I absolutely love the city of Pittsburgh and the city campus doesn't bother me...plus, I think the academics at Pitt are great for my major...bioengineering (and just interviewed for guaranteed acceptance for med school Tuesday)...However, I will be taking all honors classes through the Honors College so I'm sure that is the place where I will find the like minded individuals...Sometimes I think Pitt is underrated...and I'm always having to defend my desire to attend college there...but for the science and math fields, Pitt is great! (I also hear that they have an excellent philosophy department and good business program)...plus, if I could get that guaranteed acceptance to med school..wow...another reason for my wanting to go to Pitt is that it is so close to home! I live about 25 mins from campus (still living at Pitt though) so I will be able to see my family (I am very very close to them) all the time! I'd be happy to answer any other questions :)
    · Reply · Share
    I emailed Pitt and sadly no scholarship money; however in two weeks I will know if I am attending Pitt rather than UPENN or Johns Hopkins University. Either way, Pitt looks like a great choice for me since they have an undergrad major in microbiology. Lex for the bioengineering, are you going to be focusing on a molecular path or one dealing with medical equipment design? I ask this because when I applied to Lehigh, their program was based almost entirely on machinery design related to medical fields rather than work with recombinant DNA. Johns Hopkins on the other hand offered both tracts and I'm thinking about taking the molecular path if I get accepted for that major.
    · Reply · Share
    Venom: What do you mean no scholarhip money. I know they have a chancellors which involves several amount possibilities. Do you mean that it is too late to apply?
    · Reply · Share
    Haha no I meant they reviewed my credentials and I personally recieved no scholarship money.
    · Reply · Share
    venom, i will deal with both of those fields most likely...see at Pitt, your first couple of years you get exposed to all aspects of bioengineering...then, later in your undergraduate education, you can pick a route to take...personally, i am more interested in things like tissue engineering than equipment design...but who knows..there are many opportunities to explore these things while there...ultimately i think i would like to go to medical school, but i'm not sure whether i will be going to become a medical researcher or practicing physician...time will tell
    · Reply · Share
    Venom and Lex,
    You should find great resources at Pitt, with the Biomedical Science Tower on Terrace Street and the brand new (still partially under construction) Biomedical Engineering Tower on Fifth Avenue.
    · Reply · Share
    Lex: Can you tell me more about the positives that drew you to Pitt. I understand they are good in the med. fields you like; my daughter is interested in Philosophy which is rated number 1 or 2 in the country. And their combined Philosophy/Poli Sci. looked very interesting. But could you tell me more about what you know about the social, cultural life both in the city and on the campus. Are kids generally deliriously happy to be there? Is there a good spirit? Why does Fisk give it such low scores on quality of life--the very lowest possible. This concerns me. Do kids go home on weekends?
    Is the bureaucracy uncaring? Are you just a number? What would account for low quality of life. Thanks for responding.
    · Reply · Share
    The positives...hmmmm...where to start! I might be a little biased because I have been a Pittsburgher all of my life...but I absolutely love this city! I don't know what this "fisk" thing is and I just tried googling it, but they are definitely over-generalizing/giving borderline misinformation...I have visited campus many times and have never once left feeling a negative/apathetic/unhappy vibe from the current students... there are so many clubs and organizations to get invovled in...I can only think that those who don't take advantage of opportunities are the ones who are unhappy with the University... Pitt attracts students from all over the world..I have had the opportunity to meet some of them already and I have found all very interesting, engaging, and friendly...Yes, the Philosophy Dpt. is very highly ranked, but I do not know much more about it than that because of my differing interests...I am just so surprised about the low quality of life ranking... the city is a great place to be... there are so many businesses and companies located here (great internship opportunities)... we have a million museums, theaters, cultural venues... the waterfront and strip district are great for shopping and just hanging out with friends!... Pitt students get free public transportation so that we can get to just about anywhere in the city anytime we feel like it... Pittsburgh boasts a giant park (biking/walking trails and sports areas)...plus, Pittsburghers have an incredible sense of pride in their sports teams! (GO STEELERS!!)... As for your question about weekends, I honestly don't know... I will be going home, but that is because I live so close...I know a majority of students at Pitt are in-state...but I'm not sure of the proximity to Pittsburgh of these students...I have some friends there who stay all the time...I guess it is just personal preference?...I don't think the bureaucracy is uncaring at all...(but then again, I have only dealt with the engineering/honors college staff, so I don't think I can definitively answer this question)...In some classes (general, first-level ones) I would think that maybe students would be just a number...but through the years, as classes become harder/more specialized, class size tends to become significantly smaller (at least this is the trend in the engineering school)... as for your last concern, I have no idea why the ranking would be so low...I have visited campus too many times to have just been there on a "good day"...or been there during times when a bit of "propaganda" could have been at use haha... but then again, i have only dealt with engineering students and honors students, so i might not be getting the full picture... i have interacted with students in other areas, but not nearly as much...i will research this more, and could I have a link to this fisk ranking? Thank you very much and if you have any other questions/concerns please ask! :)
    · Reply · Share
    Lex, would you have any idea between the differences in career paths deriving from majoring in molecular biology compared to microbiology? The course work seems very similar and I am very unsure which route to take. I would probably be jumping into more specific coursework in the biological section of my curriculum because I obtained 5 on the AP test, so I would most likely have to make this pathway decision earlier.
    · Reply · Share
    I'm also curious about the low ranking in quality of life. One of my daughters spent a summer session at Carnegie Mellon, right up the street. She and her fellow students thoroughly enjoyed Pittsburgh as a city, became adept at using the city buses, and a few of the kids from that summer went on to CMU for their undergrad studies,some in engineering, some in peforming arts. They're still happy w/ Pittsburgh!
    · Reply · Share
    I don't understand the low quality of life ranking, unless Pitt is penalized for being urban. My son is a freshman, and is having a great year. The dorms are nice - even the Towers, which are the bottom of the food chain, are pretty nice with new furniture, carpet, air conditioning and 2 cafeterias, gym and laundry on the premisis. He takes advantage of all a city has to offer and has made alot of nice friends. There are tons of organizations and activities, and most students don't go home for the weekend. I guess if you favor the bucolic version of college, you would be disappointed in Pitt's physical environment.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks so much ikf and chris d for positive responses. Perhaps it is the urban thing that made Fiske rank it low. I think involvement of teachers and administration with kids is a factor in ranking as well. I think most kids do not need a lot of personal attention. But I will not worry any more. It does seem like a great school and with CM down the street it seems there are even more academic and social opportunities around. You all have been great and if anyone else who is at Pitt now wants to tell how they experience it, that would be great.
    · Reply · Share
    I really don't understand some of the college guides' quality of life descriptions, with students at medium (Pitt) to large (OSU) urban schools who say "there's nothing to do here." IMHO, their comments say more about them than about the schools.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity