right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

Learning Communities?

chrisdchrisd 474 replies23 threads Member
edited May 2006 in University of Pittsburgh
My daughter received a brochure in the mail from Pitt about themed Learning Communities.

Has anyone here had experience with these?

Slightly OT. . . .we were in Pittsburgh over the last few days. Weather was great, so I spent a lot of time out and walking. Went up one incline, walked down Grandview Ave to take the other incline down. Walked from South Side Works down East Carson to Station Square. I wonder if Pitt students get over to the Southside? I could have spent a lot more time shopping over on the Strip,especially at Pennsylvania Macaroni !
edited May 2006
2 replies
Post edited by chrisd on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Learning Communities?

• lkf725lkf725 4596 replies184 threads Senior Member
    I know several kids who were in a Learning Community and they all liked it. You tend to find others with similar interests and it is a good system of support for studying and projects.

In answer to your other question, "yes". I think with the free and plentiful public transportation, the students get around quite a bit. The south side is a popular destination.
    · Reply · Share
  • ophioliteophiolite 1020 replies34 threads Member
    Southside actually can be quite dangerous at night and I avoided it at all costs when I was a student at Pitt (had to drop some people off from work sometimes...but that's it). More popular destinations to my knowledge are within Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, and the Waterfront.

As for the learning communities...they must be relatively new as I don't know anything about them (FYI I entered Pitt in 2000).
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity