Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Failed a major course

DanPatelDanPatel Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I just failed a course in my major and am wondering on what kinds of long term affects will this have on me. I am currently in my freshmen year of college progressing to my sophomore year. My major is Computer Science. With this failed course, I currently have around a 2.500 GPA. I do plan to retake this course if possible next year. Also, even though I plan to change majors soon, if I do continue to keep this major and when it comes to the time for when I apply for a job, will companies judge me in any way based on this one class I failed?

Thanks for the help!

Replies to: Failed a major course

• mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,620 Senior Member
    I would contact your academic advisor and the acadrmic resource center for your options. Did you seek help when you were struggling in this course? I would find out if you can retake the course in the summer at a local community college or what you should do.

I don't know if you should change your major, did you do well in your other classes and what did you struggle with?

I don't think one failed class would impact your long term career options. You have three more years to improve your GPA, you can do coops to get practical experience and gain more skills in your major.

But you should be proactive from now on and seek help immediately if things get difficult. There are resources available to you, Pitt wants its students to be successful.
  • amandakayakamandakayak Registered User Posts: 2,416 Senior Member
    http://www.asundergrad.pitt.edu/advising-center/frequently-asked-questions#l - note question on repeating a course if you didn't do well in it
  • amandakayakamandakayak Registered User Posts: 2,416 Senior Member
    As far as whether employers will care - seriously, my ds applied for many jobs - but never was a transcript requested - just a gpa.
  • SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 Registered User Posts: 3,446 Senior Member
    What was the course?
  • patsoxpatsox Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I also failed a CS course at Pitt this semester! CS 0445 Data Structures. Which one did you fail?
This discussion has been closed.