right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

help! confusion w/college admission

NihongoyoNihongoyo 1724 replies530 threads Senior Member
edited May 2006 in University of Pittsburgh
Hey I was wondering if this looks like what Pit is looking for at all for music/creative writing majors...maybe even for the honors college?...:

GPA: 4.19 weighted (going to rise)
3.88 unweighted (same)
SAT: (they're not fair)..writing 610, crit reading 520, math 550.
ACT: June 10th, not taken yet.
9th grade i took almost all honors (I have 3 B's on my transcript), 10th grade i took 2 honors, this year (11) i took 1 ap and 4 honors and have all A's (one b+). From 10th grade on, I have all A's on the transcript. Next year, I am taking 4 AP's (2 AP and 2 ap weighted honors) and 1 actual honors honors.

Extracurriculars: People to people student ambassador program, national youth leadership conference (possibly--next summer), glsen (helps teach others about diversity), junior mendelssohn choir, voice lessons, piano lessons, cantoring for my rabbi, jazz choir, chamber choir (most elite), and many others that I can't think of.

Thanks!!
edited May 2006
3 replies
Post edited by Nihongoyo on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: help! confusion w/college admission

• tennisguy137tennisguy137 43 replies3 threads Junior Member
    I have no idea about music because I'm pre-med so I don't know what they look for but I know for the honors they basically look at your SAT score and it "needs" to be a 1350, but if it is a bit lower and the rest of your application is very strong than they'll consider you. If you really want honors I'd study hard for the ACT and if you don't do well then retake both tests in the fall
    · Reply · Share
  • ophioliteophiolite 1020 replies34 threads Member
    You are always able to take honors college classes at Pitt regardless if you make the requirements or not. Also, if you are borderline and don't get into the honors college, if you maintain a 3.25 (B+) QPA you will automatically be able to take honors college classes and will be eligible for the BPhil degree if you decide to take that route.

FYI: I had a 2.91UW (probably a little higher with senior grades...but I applied with that) and 1120 SAT and ended up taking honors college classes.
    · Reply · Share
  • lkf725lkf725 4596 replies184 threads Senior Member
    What kind of music are you looking for?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity