Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

affording upitt

julia35002julia35002 Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
Hi, I am an OOS student and I was wondering about how financial aid or scholarships would come into hand. If I were to attend I would try to go for Nursing most likely. I have very good EC's a 3.7 UW GPA and so far a 26 on the ACT most likely gonna retake and aim for 28-29. I am also a first generation student, and I come from a low-income family. Thank you!!

Replies to: affording upitt

• mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,626 Senior Member
    Scholarship eligible students in general need pretty high stats, like ACT 33 and A average GPA and high class rank.

For nursing it may depend on the strength of the applicant pool.

Definitely try and raise your ACT score.

Also apply early in the application cycle.

For financial aid it depends if you are eligible for federal or state grants, student loans, work study and some low income students might get some need based grants from Pitt.

Try the net price calculator to get an idea of how much aid your family can get.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,626 Senior Member
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,860 Senior Member
    Pitt does give some institutional aid to OOS students so that may be a possibility. Merit awards were super competitive this year---a 33 seemed to be the threshold this year for students to get even minimal awards this year.

Pitt is not a school that guarantees to meet full need so you are likely to still be left with a hefty portion for your family to pay. You need to make sure you put IN state options on your list and make sure you visit and would be happy to attend. That way you have options either way.
  • hailtopitt1787hailtopitt1787 Registered User, College Rep Posts: 1,775 Senior Member
    Hello!

The Scholarships page on our site includes some helpful information: https://oafa.pitt.edu/financialaid/academic-scholarships/

Best,
    A Pitt Admissions Staffer
This discussion has been closed.