right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Nursing Chances For Pitt

NursingManNursingMan 81 replies21 threads Junior Member
Next year I will be a senior taking Honors Probability/Statistics and Honors Calculus, as well as 2 AP classes.

Major: Nursing
GPA: 3.8
Honors: 7 classes
Class Rank: 31/341
AP: 1 class
SAT: 1190
ACT:25 (Superscore: 27)
Activities: Cross Country, Track and Field, Marching Band, Swimming, National Honors Society, Mini THON.
Current job: Lifeguard

What are my chances? I have two cousins who went to Pitt as well. Thanks!
16 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Nursing Chances For Pitt

• mommdcmommdc 11912 replies31 threads Senior Member
    Definitely retake SAT. Do all the online practice tests in the next month, see what you get wrong and work on that. Khanacademy partners with Collegeboard for free.

· Reply · Share
  • NursingManNursingMan 81 replies21 threads Junior Member
    @mommdc What would you consider to be a competitive SAT score? The Class of 2020 ranged from 1210-1340 for the School of Nursing. I took the June SAT and believe I did better.
    · Reply · Share
    Oh ok. If the June SAT is higher then that is good. I would definitely want it to be above 1200. Ideally 1250-1300.
    · Reply · Share
  • RyanG1207RyanG1207 521 replies3 threads Member
    @NursingMan I have a rising sophomore in the nursing program. I think the average SAT for the incoming class of 2020 was around 1320. I don't believe they superscore for the ACT.
    · Reply · Share
    @RyanG1207 Thanks for the information! Where did you hear about the average?
    · Reply · Share
    @NursingMan They told us at a nursing specific open house. I think you can find the info online as well.
    · Reply · Share
    @RyanG1207 I'll look around for it. That really discourages me from applying even when Pitt is my #2 school :(
    · Reply · Share
    @NursingMan I just checked my notes - that average was from 2014. You can probably call and ask for updated information.

Don't be discouraged though! Try to get your score up. Would you consider going to Pitt-Johnstown? Which school is your #1?
    · Reply · Share
    @RyanG1207 My June SAT scores come out in two days so I'm hoping those are better. I'm not interested in going to a branch campus, as my family doesn't view them as equal in terms of education. Penn State (University Park) is my #1 at the moment. I've had five family members go to PSU and three that went to Pitt so they both run in the blood.
    · Reply · Share
    @NursingMan That's quite a rivalry in your family then!

Like I said, don't be discouraged. You're definitely not out of the running. If I remember correctly, I was also given the admissions statistics for accepted students in an email. Have you visited? I recommend attending the "So You Want to be a Nurse Session" if you can.
    · Reply · Share
  • PAclgmomPAclgmom 44 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Test scores need to come up for PSU or Pitt main. Have you considered Duquesne? My husband is involved in the nursing program there and it's a very good one.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes, I agree, Duquesne might give some merit as well, if the SAT doesn't come up as high as you want.
    · Reply · Share
    Also look into St Francis U, Gannon and Seton Hill if you don't want a huge school, they have good programs too.
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 2017
    @RyanG1207 I visited Pitt in May and that's how I got the information for nursing scores (1210 - 1340 SAT and 27 - 31 for ACT). However, wasn't able to get the information on how many people apply for nursing.
    edited July 2017
    · Reply · Share
    @PAclgmom I visited the 2021 admission forum for Penn State and there were comments with an 1180, 1190 and 1200 for nursing. I'm still hoping my score ends up higher. I visited Duquesne the day after Pitt and had a very nice interview with an admissions counselor and a nursing staff member. It's currently #4 on my list.
    · Reply · Share
    @NursingMan Ok, then you have the most current stats. Sorry for any confusion. They told us that they get 1000+ applications. They accept about 330 for 110 spots, but I noticed that about 130 have been enrolling for the last 2 entering classes.

I'm sure you've heard this already - apply as soon as the application is available. Good luck! Please feel free to PM me with any questions.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity