right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Honors college w/ $$$$ essays

mikenthemaddog66mikenthemaddog66 2550 replies130 threads Senior Member
edited July 2006 in University of Pittsburgh
So I visited Pitt and they are like, if you want to get merit scholarships and honors college you must do the essays and send in recs and stuff . I'm like thats cool.

So heres their topics:
· Submit a sample of your writing. You may write about something of particular interest to you -- whether that be creative, fantastic, ethical, personal, political, etc...
· If you are interested in the arts or feel you have a special skill or talent, tell us what you do and/or enclose photos or slides of your work
· Imagine you're on the Admissions or Scholarship Committee. Tell us something about yourself that isn't apparent from your academic records -- something that will give us insight about you as an individual and might help in the Committee's decision.
· If you could have dinner with a famous person or persons, past or present, who would it be and why? Describe the circumstances.

Are they basically telling me that I should do the 3rd one? I was really hoping to only write wacked out essays but it seems that I'm now forced to do a blah blah blah boring one. Well, would a school as big as Upitt really want a wacked out essay when they have so many applicants?

Any help would be appreciated.
edited July 2006
2 replies
Post edited by mikenthemaddog66 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Honors college w/ $$$$ essays

• nuclei19nuclei19 50 replies14 threads Junior Member
    i got a full tuition in-state scholarship and I think I only sent an essay that sort of fit the 3rd essay topic. I think most of the awarding of scholarships is based on GPA and SAT but then for the full-ride chancellors you have to send teacher recs and write another essay and there I dont think stats matter too much
    · Reply · Share
  • aznrubberduckyaznrubberducky 66 replies3 threads Junior Member
    oh, i got a full tuition scholarship, and i wrote my essay on the first one.. my interests (politics), but i guess my interests explain something beyond my academic records. oh and apply early (as soon as you can). i rmbr Pitt was the first college i applied to (it was free application if you sent it in like in october) and i heard from them in nov. or dec.. i'm pretty sure my admissions letter told me about the full tuition scholarship as well..
    anways, i ended up going to Universiyt of Texas.

good luck.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity