Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Should I take these classes together?

Kpoplover103Kpoplover103 Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
Hello! I am a rising sophomore pre-med student at Pitt and I was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding whether I should take these classes together?

Sophomore Spring:
Organic Chemistry 1
Bio Lab 2
Public Speaking
Genetics
Psychopathy

Junior Fall:
Biochemistry
Physics 2 with lab
Biostatistics
Morality and Medicine

Replies to: Should I take these classes together?

• mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 11,267 Senior Member
    Did you ask your advisor?

I would not take more than two science classes, or difficult/time intensive classes per semester, especially when taking Ochem.

When are you taking Ochem 2? And Physics 1 with lab? Hopefully not in the summer!

Try not to rush through, you need to maintain a high GPA if medical school is your goal.

You should add some Humanities courses to your schedule.
  • Kpoplover103Kpoplover103 Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    @mommdc I decided to take Ochem 2 with the lab as well as Biochemistry during sophomore summer and instead retake general chemistry 2 in the fall with physics 2 and physics lab.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 11,267 Senior Member
    I would not take Ochem in the summer where the content of a 15 week semester gets compressed into 6 short weeks.

And when did you take Physics 1?

I don't understand what you took in Freshman year. English composition, biology and General chemistry 1 with lab?

Did you skip Chem 1? And are skipping Physics 1 because of AP credits?

I don't think it's a good idea.

Why are you retaking Chem 2?

I'm not sure whether medical schools will allow grade replacement.

A pre-med can major in anything as long as he takes the med school prerequisites. I would not take too many science classes at once, take some humanities classes.