right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

University of Pittsburgh

stowmomstowmom 215 replies7 threads Junior Member
edited October 2006 in University of Pittsburgh
Does the University of Pittsburgh require that you take the ACT and/or SAT in your senior year? My D took both as a junior and got a 31 on the ACT and 2200 on the SAT (math 760 and CR 800). She doesn't want to take them again, but I saw on their website that you should submit your junior and senior test scores. She also took them as a sophomore and got a 30 on the ACT and something like a 1200 on the old SAT. Anyway she applied on Monday and now we are just waiting to hear from them. Any help would be appreciated.
edited October 2006
13 replies
Post edited by stowmom on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: University of Pittsburgh

• SpringfieldMomSpringfieldMom 1027 replies39 threads Senior Member
    SAT in Senior year is not required. My D took SAT 3 times Junior year. She is not taking them again Senior year. She applied to Pitt a couple of weeks ago.
    · Reply · Share
  • weenieweenie 5444 replies349 threads Senior Member
    I don't think any school cares WHEN you took the SAT or ACT that you submit.
    · Reply · Share
  • stowmomstowmom 215 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Thanks for your help. I'm new to this site, but have found it to be very helpful. This is our first child to attend college and things sure have changed since my husband and I went to college!
    · Reply · Share
  • chrisdchrisd 474 replies23 threads Member
    Stowmom. . . as in Stow Ohio?

We're in "the falls." Daughter is a freshman at Pitt this year. I'd think your daughter's scores might qualify her for scholarship money. . no point taking the tests again!
    · Reply · Share
    chrisd-Yes, Stow, Ohio. How does your D like it? What's her major? My D wants to major in Nursing and eventually get her masters to be a nurse practioner. Any info you could provide about Pitt would be useful. Thanks in advance.
    · Reply · Share
    My daughter is majoring in microbiology, is interested in going into research. Her roommate is a nursing major. Next time I talk to my D, I'll ask about her roommate and what she thinks about the nursing program so far.

Have you visited the campus yet?
    · Reply · Share
    We are visiting on Oct. 28. My D likes Pitt from what she has seen on the website and what she has heard from other people that have gone there. I just hope that she isn't disappointed once we get there. I just wish she would have done her college visits in the summer when I wanted her to. Now we are rushing around trying to make decisions. Kids, you gotta love them!

That would be great if you could get some feedback from your D's roommate. Pitt is ranked 10th in nursing so I hope she likes the program. I am a nurse and from what I can see it sounds great, but you never know until you see it and live it. Thanks so much.
    · Reply · Share
  • lkf725lkf725 4596 replies184 threads Senior Member
    Pitt is a very friendly campus, but I think the students in the medical fields have an even closer knit group. They are sort of concentrated "up on the hill" near the hospitals, and they all mingle together, nursing/dental/pharmacy/medical/etc. It's kind of a subculture of Pitt.

I'm an "old" pharmacy graduate, and Pitt offers excellence in all of the health related fields. Also, you can't get much better experience as a student than working at UPMC.

Good luck with your visit, Stowmom. I hope it goes well!
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks, lkf725. We're looking forward to visiting Pitt. Everything we hear about it sounds wonderful!
    · Reply · Share
    We just came back from visiting D, for the Friday of Family Weekend. This is the first time we've seen her since leaving her at the dorm back in August. She seems to be happy w/ her college choice, and confident in getting around campus and Pittsburgh, w/ the city buses.

Stowmom--w/ our first daughter, we first visited colleges in February of her senior year, after she'd been accepted. . . I vowed never to let that happen again w/ the other two kids! So, October--you're not doing too badly! My daughter disliked all the small colleges we visited (Wooster, Allegheny, Ashland), and the state u's in small college towns--OU, and Miami. She did like OSU, and seemed really awed by the biology tour she took. But, she just felt it was too big. She liked the academics opportunities at Pitt, but was really sold by the Oakland setting and the size of the school. One of our other daughters had spent a summer at CMU, so we felt comfortable w/ the area, as far as safety and other aspects of college life there.

The only two drawbacks are out-of-state tuition, and the crazy expressway drive into the area! 579, 279, and don't forget the small green sign for Forbes Ave! Ugh!
    · Reply · Share
  • m&sdadm&sdad 1188 replies13 threads Member
    ChrisD,

regarding:
    "the crazy expressway drive into the area! 579, 279, and don't forget the small green sign for Forbes Ave! Ugh!"...

They are currently resigning the interstates from the Airport out to the East past the University. They will soon all have the same interstate number!!
    · Reply · Share
    chrisd,
    Glad to hear your D is enjoying Pitt and is doing well. By chance did you get a chance to talk to her roommate about the nursing program?
    · Reply · Share
  • nurse123nurse123 147 replies2 threads Junior Member
    My d is a first year nursing student at Pitt. The nursing school offers fabulous opportunities for its students. The curriculum is challenging. After much research we did find that Pitt Nursing offers so much more than most other universities.

Check out the "College Visits" menu and read about Pitt.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity