right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

AP Credit

hkgurl89hkgurl89 3 replies2 threads New Member
I have a few questions concerning the AP Calculus AB and Spanish Language exams.

For the calculus exam, I was trying to figure out what a passing grade does.

On the general education requirements page, it says:

"All students are required to take and pass with a grade of C- or better at least one course in university-level mathematics (other than trigonometry) for which algebra is a prerequisite, or an approved course in statistics or mathematical or formal logic in a department of the School of Arts and Sciences."

Clicking the algebra link in the paragraph, I was led to this:

"The Mathematical Proficiency of all incoming students will be assessed. Students who need additional mathematical preparation will be required by the end of the first two terms of full-time enrollment to take and pass, with a grade of C- or better, a course in algebra. Students will be exempt from the mathematics proficiency test if they have achieved a satisfactory grade on the Advanced Placement examination in calculus in high school, have earned a C- or better in calculus through College in High School, have completed an approved equivalent of Algebra or another approved mathematics course, or have scored 600 or better on the Math SAT."

Also, I looked at the AP Credits worksheet, and it states that for a 3 or higher, you will receive 4 credits for MATH 0220.

So...does a passing grade ONLY get you exempted from having to take the proficiency test? Does this mean that I will still have to take a "university-level mathematics" class? If so, then there is no use for those 4 credits unless you plan to major in something where you have to take MATH 0220? Additionally, will a passing grade cause people to place you in a higher level math class that does fulfill the requirement?

I was also wondering what a passing grade on the Spanish exam does. I went to the Spanish dept. web site, and they only posted a very short blurb on AP credit. Does anyone have any more specific info.?

ANY help on the topics (especially the calculus one) would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
edited May 2007
9 replies
Post edited by hkgurl89 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: AP Credit

• lkf725lkf725 4596 replies184 threads Senior Member
    I THINK they mean that you will have to take a proficiency test unless you have one of the following. If you don't have one of these, you need to take the proficiency test.
    (1) gotten a 3 or better on the AP calculus exam and thus have college credits,
    (2) taken a college calculus course in high school with a C- or better and thus have college credits,
    (3) completed a different "approved" math course and thus have college credits
    (4) scored >600 on the Math SAT (no college credits)

If you have (1), (2) or (3), you have college credit and would not have to take the proficiency test nor a math class. If you have only (4), you would have to take a math class, but not the proficiency test.

For 3, 4 or 5 on the AP Calc AB exam, you get 4 credits for math 220.
    For 3, 4, or 5 on the AP Calc BC exam, you get 8 credits for math 220 and math 230.
    I know students who took the credit and more advanced courses as a freshman and didn't do so well. Maybe better to take the classes anyway.

For Spanish, you get some kind of credit for a 4 or 5 on the AP exam, but it seems to me that the Spanish department wants to give their own placement test. You should just call the department and ask.
    · Reply · Share
  • hkgurl89hkgurl89 3 replies2 threads New Member
    lkf725-

Thanks so much for responding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is probably a stupid question, but I just want to be completely sure. When you said:

"If you have (1), (2) or (3), you have college credit and would not have to take the proficiency test nor a math class."

that math class you are talking about refers to the one for the gen. edu. requirement, right? So that means I won't ever have to go near mathematics again in college unless I choose to (which I WILL NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)? (Not a lover of math in case you couldn't tell from that comment... ^_^)

Sorry if that question was redundant. It's just that the deadline for signing up for the AP calc. exam at my school is Monday, so I needed to know whether or not I should take it.

Anyway...THANK YOU SO MUCH for the reply again.
    · Reply · Share
  • lkf725lkf725 4596 replies184 threads Senior Member
    I came across this link. Apparently you can take a Spanish placement exam online before your PittStart to help you register for the appropriate level class. http://www.pittstart.pitt.edu/placement_as.html

The gen ed requirements say that you have to have college credit for a course higher than Algebra (but not Trig). You can get this credit for calc by AP credit or Pitt credit for calc in hs. Apparently some courses in statistics, math logic or formal logic will count for this too. If you have calc credit, I think you are home free. If not, you will have to take some math/statistics/logic class that is approved. If you don't have credit nor a SAT score >600 nor an approved college class, you also have to take the placement test.

Just so you know, I am not 100% positive of these things but I have given you my take on the quotes you posted. You really should call them and check with an official Pitt representative.
    · Reply · Share
  • chrisdchrisd 474 replies23 threads Member
    Speaking of logic class. . . . my daughter signed up for a logic class, within the Philosophy dept, thinking it would satisfy a philosophy-related requirement. Ah no, it's adding another math credit for her. It seems to be a fairly easy class, if you're looking for a not too painful way to meet a math requirement.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks for the Spanish link.

I think I will try the AP calc. exam. When my calc. teacher tried to convince me to take it, he told me that I could easily get a 4 without studying. Even if I don't do too hot on it, logic class sounds interesting to me. I scored higher than 600 on my math SAT, so I would be exempt from the algebra test anyway.
    · Reply · Share
  • JajaJaja 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Does anyone know if Pitt gives credit for IB exams - HL or SL?
    · Reply · Share
  • bwang34bwang34 55 replies5 threads Junior Member
    I remember reading somewhere that they only take AP credits, but don't take my word for it.
    · Reply · Share
  • Pat2323Pat2323 612 replies23 threads Member
    WRONG, bwang34.

This is from the School of Arts and Sciences:

"International Baccalaureate
    A&S recognizes the International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher-Level Examinations and may grant advanced standing and/or credit for various fields for scores on the Higher-Level Examinations, which range from five to seven. Advanced standing is determined individually by subject according to departmental policy. Students should send the results of their IB examinations directly to the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. No credit will be given for Subsidiary-Level Examinations."

http://www.umc.pitt.edu/bulletins/archive/undergrad041001/6b-cas-a.htm

For all posters, please do not answer questions unless you are 100% sure of the answer. A person's college search is a little too important to post that you "remember reading somewhere" about something.
    · Reply · Share
    I should have posted this some time ago...oh well...

I sent an email to Pitt about the exams mentioned above, and these are the responses that I got (the person who replied was an admissions counselor):

"You will be exempt from the Algebra general education requirement, and will not need to take an algebra placement exam. You will still be required to take a Quantitative and Formal Reasoning class (Statistics/Logic), and you may be required to take additional math classes depending on your major." --> Answer in response to the question of what happens if you get a 3 or higher on the AP Calculus AB exam

Additionally, for the Spanish Language exam:

"If you score a 4 or 5 on the AP Spanish exam, you will be awarded credits per the Spanish department. You can also take a Spanish placement exam to place into a higher level of Spanish if you plan to continue your Spanish studies here at the university....The telephone number for the Spanish Department is 412-624-5225. If you do plan to continue your Spanish studies, I recommend meeting with a Spanish advisor."

On a related topic, for the general education requirements, you need to take "a sequence of two foreign language courses" unless you can demonstrate "elementary proficiency". Well, I found out that you will have demonstrated this proficiency if you have "completed 3 years of study in a single foreign language in high school with an average grade of C or higher". So for someone who has had a C or better for three years, CONGRATS because you won't have to take any foreign language course at Pitt.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity