Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

dropping out

wintermanwinterman Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
edited September 2007 in University of Pittsburgh
I was wondering, is there anyway I can drop out after this firrst week and get any kind of refund or partial refund. I'm really miserable and I can't take three more months, so is there a way I can end the semester early
Post edited by winterman on

Replies to: dropping out

• stowmomstowmom Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    May I ask what is making you miserable? I see from previous posts that you are OOS and did not know anyone going to Pitt. Are you homesick or just haven't met any people you click with? If this is the case, have you tried out any organizations you find interesting? Have you tried to meet people on your floor?
  • mercymommercymom Registered User Posts: 1,249 Senior Member
    If there's a school you'd rather go to, or you just want to go closer to home for college (or further away!), it might be a better idea to try and transfer for second semester than just drop out. I'm not sure how another school would look on you're applying to them if they see you dropped out first. Somehow that strikes me as a potential negative.

My D had a friend who went to our state u and hated it, so she applied for an exchange with NC State for soph year. In the meantime she joined the crew team and started meeting people and getting involved. By the end of the year she didn't want to leave! However, she'd done all the paper work and had to go, so she's at NC State now, but just for one year.

The point is, it's only been one week, and no matter how bad you feel now, that could change; so don't do anything rash. Good luck.
  • lkf725lkf725 Registered User Posts: 4,781 Senior Member
    If winterman withdraws from everything (ie, resigns) before September 7, wouldn't it be as if he was never there? Why would you have to tell this to other schools?
  • mercymommercymom Registered User Posts: 1,249 Senior Member
    I'm thinking they might ask you to explain why you didn't just go straight to school in the fall. Although some schools do have deadlines for applying for spring semester as opposed to fall, so they might not ask.

My D also knows two girls the year ahead of her who transferred over xmas break their freshman year. One left Rice, the other left Smith. They just didn't like the schools once they were there. Depending on where you transfer to, it's not as hard as you'd think.
This discussion has been closed.