Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Apply now or wait?

like_a_willowlike_a_willow Registered User Posts: 150 Junior Member
edited October 2007 in University of Pittsburgh
I filled out the Pitt application today and now I'm trying to decide whether to send it in now or to wait until I retake the SATs. Any opinions?

GPA: 4.0 (W) 3.77 (UW) (my counselor will explain that my grades and class rank have suffered because due to a family situation, I've been moved from house to house and district to district over the past four years. I currently live with a family friend.)

SAT I's: 2160 (M 700 V 760 W 700 )
SAT II's: 780 Literature 760 US History

EC's:

Newspaper Reporter/ Editor (10, 11, 12)
25 hour/week job (10, 11, 12)
Promotions Management for band (11, 12)

I'm aiming for around a 2250 on my SAT retake. The odds that I'll actually attend Pitt are kind of slim, I'm viewing as a safety (a lovely one, though), so I don't know if it would even be worth it to wait around and see if my SATs will in fact go up or whether I should just submit it now and stop worrying. Any thoughts?
Post edited by like_a_willow on

Replies to: Apply now or wait?

• nikkigirl12nikkigirl12 Registered User Posts: 639 Member
    Your SAT is great for Pitt, apply now. But seeing that you dont really wnana go there, apply whenever you want. Pitt has rolling admissions so earlier the better, but if you want Pitt to see your 2250, if you get it, then apply later on. It's really a tossup
  • ChedvaChedva Super Moderator Posts: 29,816 Super Moderator
    Since Pitt is rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the more likely you are to be admitted. You cannot guarantee that your SATs will go up; in fact, they may go down.

Apply now, send your scores, and re-send them if they go up. Problem solved.
  • like_a_willowlike_a_willow Registered User Posts: 150 Junior Member
    Thanks guys, I guess I will just send it in now, get it over with, and then forward the new scores along if they do go up.
  • Stephen DedalusStephen Dedalus Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    I think you'll get in easily.
  • dufaydufay Registered User Posts: 381 Member
    Your SATs make you competitive for the Honors program. Better chance of getting in applying sooner.
  • nurse123nurse123 Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    Rolling admisioins works to your advantage if you apply earlier. Your scores are high and definitely good enough for admission. If you score higher you can forward them. Maybe you could get some decent money from Pitt. Where are you hoping to go??
  • Missy JoMissy Jo Registered User Posts: 308 Junior Member
    I agree with nikkigirl12 -- if you don't really want to go there, don't feel pressured to apply earlier. If you feel you have a better shot at SATs next time around, wait it out if you feel. A 2160 is nothing to be ashamed of, that's for sure. Besides, depending on how strenuous the circumstances were, your scores, work experience, etc. might be seen as a little bit more of a plus. Whatever you choose, good luck
  • lkf725lkf725 Registered User Posts: 4,781 Senior Member
    Apply as you have time. Your stats are fine either now or later. But if money is any consideration at all, you probably should apply now and have new scores sent later if they are notably better.
This discussion has been closed.