Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Pitt Junior here, any questions?

Replies to: Pitt Junior here, any questions?

• nikkigirl12nikkigirl12 Registered User Posts: 639 Member
    whats the GPA scale? plus how do most classes grade? like are the grades based on tests, papers, what?
  • JimmyC045JimmyC045 Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    Here's the full grading scale: Grades, Office of the University Registrar at the University of Pittsburgh

The way that classes are graded vary greatly by professor and department. There's no one answer I can give you.
  • nikkigirl12nikkigirl12 Registered User Posts: 639 Member
    thanks a lot! on a general basis, is it easy or hard to get an A in classes?
  • Laura1217Laura1217 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    What kinds of jobs are available for students on campus? Are they difficult to come by? Or do most students work off campus?
    nikkigirl12, again, that's a very difficult question to answer. It depends on your talents, interests, and work habits, the professor, the class, the department, etc. You're definitely going to have to work in every class, Pitt's not an "easy" school, but it's not difficult to maintain a good GPA if you go to class and put the work in.

Laura1217, there are a lot of on-campus jobs. The most popular and competitive jobs are probably Pathfinders (tour guides) and RA positions. A lot of people get jobs working for various departments. There are also jobs in the computer labs. Because Pitt's in the city, you can also find any kind of off-campus job imaginable. The school also offers a lot of undergrad research opportunities.
  • LurkNessMonsterLurkNessMonster Registered User Posts: 2,015 Senior Member
    I agree with Jimmy that there are a lot of jobs available on campus. Don't forget there is a whole medical center on campus, and lots of the jobs are science-related support positions.
  • Matt313Matt313 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    What do you recommend in terms of a meal plan for an incoming freshman?
  • LurkNessMonsterLurkNessMonster Registered User Posts: 2,015 Senior Member
    Get the least expensive plan you can. You can always add to it.
  • jb12jb12 Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    What are the requirements to get admitted? How about getting a merit scholarship from college?
    jb12, do you mean just basic freshman admittance? There are no strict requirements but here are some statistics:

University of Pittsburgh: Undergraduate Admissions & Financial Aid
    We're interested in School of Business. Do freshmen get it there right away?
    Yes, freshmen can get in from the start, but it's harder than Arts and Sciences admissions. If you don't get in as a freshman, you can still apply at a later time.
    Any GPA, SAT requirements to get to SoB?
    No strict requirements. Here is their admissions page: Admissions | Pitt Business | College of Business Administration

It isn't extremely difficult to get in, it's not like the Honors College. I'm not sure what their stats are, but as long as you're at leat a little above average for overall Pitt students, you shouldn't have a problem.
  • lilpele22lilpele22 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    1)I know lurknessmonster said get the least expensive one possible but that seems nowhere close to enough. I know that I like to eat every meal.. not a large amount but a decent amount.. so the 50 dining passes and $930 a term doesn't seem to be nearly enough. Is the ultimate access a bad idea? Since I won't have to worry about how much I spend.. it might save me a lot worrying.

2) Are there stores nearby that sell milk/cereal? It seems really convenient if there are stores that do. That way I won't have to pay for breakfast and can just have cereal every morning.
This discussion has been closed.