right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

chance at honors college?

CrystalPineappleCrystalPineapple 891 replies81 threads Member
edited August 2008 in University of Pittsburgh
Hi!

I'm applying to the University of Pittsburgh honors college from in-state. I really want to send in my application right now, but I don't have a teacher recommendation...I actually completed my application about a month ago but I've been ehhhh about submitting it because I didn't have that teacher rec. ANYWAY, how much would it hurt me in terms of admission if I don't have that rec? I do have an essay. It's pretty solid, I think.

Some stats if you're interested:
SAT: CR 650, M 780, W 730 (1430/2160)
GPA: 3.96 unweighted
Course rigor: lots of AP's and honors throughout my four years
ECs: MUSIC! i'm not sending pitt a music supplement though

I really want to get into Pitt (and as early as possible!), but if that missing teacher's rec is going to ruin my chances, I'll bite my tongue and wait.

THANKS!
edited August 2008
4 replies
Post edited by CrystalPineapple on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: chance at honors college?

• llpitchllpitch 4238 replies80 threads Senior Member
    Why don't you get a teacher's rec? It takes like 2 minutes to ask a teacher you like for one...
    · Reply · Share
  • lkf725lkf725 4596 replies184 threads Senior Member
    Now that school is back in session, maybe you should ask a teacher from last year who knows you really well. It might take a while to build a relationship with a new teacher.
    · Reply · Share
  • jaf1991jaf1991 422 replies13 threads Member
    School's not in session everywhere. Schools in Washington won't start until next week; I assume it may be the same in other states. My D already submitted her application and we're going to send the recs and essay when they're ready. On the last page of the application, there's a place where you can specify which supplemental materials you're going to send so they'll know they are coming.
    · Reply · Share
  • AKittkaAKittka 1337 replies75 threads Senior Member
    you're in. i already sent my application in without my recs, essay, and transcript. you can juss send them to Pitt as they become available.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity