Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Puget Sound merit aid awards

AmazingBlueAmazingBlue Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
Does anyone have information on how UPS merit aid awards compare with awards from other liberal arts colleges, especially Willamette and other colleges listed in the book Colleges that Change Lives? How does UPS determine who gets what amounts? Thanks.

Replies to: Puget Sound merit aid awards

• rayrickrayrick Registered User Posts: 855 Member
    edited December 2015
    Also keenly interested in this question. Stats of people who got substantial merit packages would be especially helpful.
  • arc918arc918 Registered User Posts: 711 Member
    Fingers crossed that UPS is as generous as Willamette.
  • AmazingBlueAmazingBlue Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    I heard offline from someone who got $23,000 from Willamette, $20,000 from UPS and $19,000 from Lawrence in Wisconsin.
    Stats? I'm aware that some kids get $20K merit offers from UPS. The question I have is what kind of profile does one have to have to get that kind of offer? Is it mostly score-based? Scores and GPA? Regarding SAT's, do they mainly look at M+CR? The reason I'm so obsessed with this is my son's M+CR SAT score is probably the strongest part of his application, so I'm hoping that's a key criterion!
  • LCalumLCalum Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    My son had strong M+CR scores and was accepted to UPS last year. His award was right around $20K... the issue for us was the "all in" cost of $60K for UPS... he is at PLU, just down the road...which gave him more merit aid and has a cheaper "all in" cost.
    In prior years, some letters have gone out with merit awards in mid February (dated ~ Feb 16). So perhaps we'll see something in the next few days.
    I've been wondering about this myself. I was kind of hoping your post was going to be from someone who had just gotten one :)
  • Momof7thgraderMomof7thgrader Registered User Posts: 317 Member
    Acceptance package arrived today with a 12K Alumni scholarship.
  • JMTmamaJMTmama Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    Congratulations! Would you be willing to share his GPAand SAT/ACT scores? Thank you :)
    My daughter just got hers in the mail today as well. $20K of merit (President's Scholarship).

Merit award is pretty much in line with offers from most other schools.
  • boulangerieboulangerie Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Just got my acceptance -- $20,000 in merit aid as a President's Scholar. 4.3 weighted GPA, 33 ACT.
  • BearHouseBearHouse Registered User Posts: 463 Member
    My daughter got hers in the mail today too! Puget Sound was generous and in-line with the other PNW LACs. Now we need to plan a trip to visit.
  • sfcg1998sfcg1998 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Got my acceptance in the mail today :) $20,000 President's Scholarship. 3.95 W GPA (3.74 UW), 2060 SAT and 31 ACT.
  • averagestudent21averagestudent21 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Acceptance letter came in the mail today! Received $22,000/year trustee scholarship. 4.2 W GPA (3.9 UW), 2090 SAT. Very excited to have received such a generous offer!
  • mermaid29mermaid29 Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    accepted a few days ago... very excited! the early letters are fun. got 18k/year dean's scholarship; 3.73 W/3.63 UW, 2150 SAT. (23k/year at willamette though, so i'm interested to see what happens with other LACs)
This discussion has been closed.