Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Chance me at University of Rochester for Spring 2011

thomaskurian89thomaskurian89 Registered User Posts: 275 Junior Member
edited November 2010 in University of Rochester
Personal info:
I'm an Indian; I finished high school in 2007.
My intended major is BS Computer Science and Mathematics.
I am applying to University of Rochester for Spring 2011.
(I am NOT applying for financial aid.)

Test scores:
SAT 1: Critical Reading-600, Writing-680, Math 1-790 (Best scores)
SAT 2: Math 2-800, Chemistry-800, Physics-770
TOEFL-107
AP Calculus BC-5
AP Calculus AB subscore-5
AP Physics C: Mechanics-5
AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism-5

GPA:
Class 10: 92.6%
Class 11: 88.1%
Class 12: 84.8%

EC's:
FIDE rated chess player (Rating-1640).
Designed the Case Western Chess website.
Self studied Number Theory, MATLAB, Java programming and Multivariable Calculus.

Other Colleges:
I had joined an Indian college in Fall 2007 but dropped out before completing the first semester because I wanted to change my major to Computer Science, but the college did not have that major.
I had joined Case Western Reserve University in Fall 2009 but was sent back home after a month after being misdiagnosed with schizophrenia. (I have OCD, which has often been misdiagnosed as psychosis - this is the main reason for the interruption in my education.) I have been off my meds for a while now and am perfectly fine. However, Case Western seems reluctant to take me back, which is why I am reapplying now.

Additional info:
I was admitted to University of Rochester with scholarship for Fall 2009 but declined and chose to go to Case Western.

I'm really worried about whether the fact that I have incomplete grades from two colleges will affect my admission. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by thomaskurian89 on

Replies to: Chance me at University of Rochester for Spring 2011

• writercatwritercat Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Isn't the Spring 2011 transfer admission deadline past already?
  • thomaskurian89thomaskurian89 Registered User Posts: 275 Junior Member
    writercat wrote:
    Isn't the Spring 2011 transfer admission deadline past already?

It is. I applied already and am really desperate to know if I have a shot.
  • thomaskurian89thomaskurian89 Registered User Posts: 275 Junior Member
    I really need to know if my 'incomplete' grades from two colleges will lead to an automatic rejection. Please help!
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,435 Senior Member
    No one here can answer your question for you. Neither parents or students are privy to inside processes of admission. You're just going to have to wait to hear back from the school--which ought to be fairly soon.

FWIW, spring admissions transfer openings are **extremely** limited.

I hope you have applied widely.

My personal gut feeling is--yeah, all those incompletes are gonna hurt you badly unless you can make a compelling case why they happened and why they won't ever happen again, but then again I have no particular insight into the UR transfer admission process. I think you would have a better case for admission had you attended a CC and demonstrated that you can be a successful college student somewhere.
  • MConklinMConklin College Rep Posts: 470 Member
    We do require an interview for transfer students, and the interview is a great place for you to discuss the status of your application, including the reason for the 'incomplete' evaluations on your transcript. We attempt to look at your application as a whole, so having incomplete courses on your transcript will not necessarily eliminate you from consideration, but we do want you to be as forthcoming as possible about your academic history.
This discussion has been closed.