Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

1st Quarter Grades

columbiaorbustcolumbiaorbust Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
edited November 2010 in University of Rochester
Does U of R require submission of first quarter grades for EDers? Also, can writing sample be hand written?
Post edited by columbiaorbust on

Replies to: 1st Quarter Grades

• WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,710 Senior Member
    I would strongly recommend typing up your writing sample. Why? Unless you have the world's most perfect penmanship, it simply makes the reading of your material easier on the reader. As a former college and high school English instructor, I cannot tell you how often I was irritated (or completely flummoxed!) by bad handwriting and consequently had a poor attitude when actually reading the essay itself.

Your essay is going to be read by multiple people multiple times, and it going to be read in the midst of reading lots and lots of other essays. You want to put your best foot forward and favorably impress your admission reader--so do him/her a favor and type your essay. It takes very little time relatively speaking and will make their job so much easier.

Their eyes will thank you.
  • ChedvaChedva Super Moderator Posts: 29,816 Super Moderator
    Are you talking about a graded writing sample? If so, then submit it in the form in which it was graded; it needs to have the grade on it. If it's just another essay or something of that sort, then yes, type it.
  • MConklinMConklin College Rep Posts: 470 Member
    Good advice Chedva. If the only graded sample that you have to send is handwritten, you are more than welcome to submit it. If you have a writing supplement that is not graded it is best to type it.
  • columbiaorbustcolumbiaorbust Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Thanks for the input on the writing sample, what about first quarter grades for EDers?
  • RoliyorkRoliyork Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Same question for D who applied early decision. Mid-term grades won't be available until 3rd week of January when the 1st semester ends. She could have the counselor submit a report based on today's standings in each class - is that what UR wants or something else?
    Though I encourage you to submit updated transcripts as they become available to you, including first-quarter grades, I understand that mid-term reports are not typically released until January or February. We will make admissions decisions without senior year grades, though we reserve the right to revoke admission if a student does not sustain his/her performance throughout his/her senior year. We use the mid-term report and final-year report to confirm our initial inclinations or to address any concerns that we may have.

By the way - It is rare that a student is admitted and then has his/her admission revoked. A student should simply avoid severe senioritis!
  • inycepooinycepoo - Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Wait, so for the writing sample there NEEDS to be a grade on it?
    Because the sample I have only has comments on it, not a grade.
    My English teacher only wrote grades in his grade book.
    Should I write the grade on it or ask him to do it?
    (He doesn't like people bothering him about this stuff though...)
    No, comments are every bit as helpful as a grade - in fact, more so. You don't need to bother your English teacher!
This discussion has been closed.