Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

UR Bookstore offering textbook rentals?

WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,450 Senior Member
edited December 2010 in University of Rochester
I was checking the UR bookstore site to see if D's spring semester textbooks have been listed yet. I noticed the the Bookstore is now offering an option to "rent" a textbook for a semester for some classes. (Last date to return text is May 10--which the day after final exams end.)

I haven't seen this before? Has anyone used the rental option? Were you happy with it? Was the text made available to the student in a timely fashion? Was the book in good condition?
Post edited by WayOutWestMom on

Replies to: UR Bookstore offering textbook rentals?

• MConklinMConklin College Rep Posts: 470 Member
    I will look into this. I heard from a recent graduate this morning that the rented textbooks are in good condition, but he has not used the rental program personally. I will see what else I can find out.l
  • LergnomLergnom Registered User Posts: 7,926 Senior Member
    Can't say much. Checked the prices last term and for the big science texts the savings weren't worth the ability to mark up the book.
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,450 Senior Member
    I've always bought D's science/math textbooks so she can keep them as a reference. (She's not a kid who writes much if at all in her books.) For spring I can see her wanting to keep her biochem book (She'll need it to study for her MCAT.); but Abstract Algebra?--not so much.
  • LergnomLergnom Registered User Posts: 7,926 Senior Member
    Shouldn't Abstract Algebra be represented by a vector space? You should at least be able to address the underlying material through a group homomorphism. You only need the algorithms to construct it.
  • larislaris Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    I recently read about this in the campus times. Here is the link Bookstore to rent out textbooks | Campus Times
This discussion has been closed.