Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Admission Question

YellowJacket13YellowJacket13 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited May 2013 in University of Rochester
Hello fellow Yellow Jackets,

I was accepted to Rochester for the Fall of 2013 in the class of 2017 (YAY!).

My grades have always been mostly A's with a B here or there. As this years grades are starting to wrap up and are finalized for the most part, it looks like I will be getting all B's and one C in History. In the past, I have been getting mostly A's in History although I got a B in the first semester of this year in History. The issue is, I really haven't been completely slacking off and I do not have a bad case of senioritis. With all my classes being IB classes it really does become hard to get A's.

Does it look like my admission will get rescinded? I have been stressing over this a lot lately and it does not seem to leave my mind. Even during my IB tests today all I could think about was not being at U of R next year because of my messing up of my history grade. I really am looking forward to becoming a Yellow Jacket and I don't want anything to screw it up.

Anyone have answers?

Thank you.
Post edited by YellowJacket13 on

Replies to: Admission Question

• triplenicktriplenick Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    I've been told that as long as you complete all of your coursework, you're fine. Just to be safe, I would get above an 80 in everything, with a cumulative 2nd Semester GPA of at least a 3.0 (85ish). All of this is unweighted.
  • LergnomLergnom Registered User Posts: 7,926 Senior Member
    Common question. Don't screw up really badly and you'll be fine.
  • YellowJacket13YellowJacket13 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you very much for the responses!

Does anyone else have additional information. I would really appreciate a few more view points.

Thank you.
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,051 Senior Member
    Unless your overall performance has dropped significantly (you go from a 3.6 GPA to a 2.0 GPA), or you fail or get a non-passing (D) grade in a required or major elective class, your acceptance isn't going to be rescinded.
  • YellowJacket13YellowJacket13 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Thanks for the response. Well it seems my GPA will drop from a 3.8 unweighted to a 2.8 unweighted semester wise. As for my overall GPA it will probably be a 3.7 or so unweighted. Do you think that drop is significant enough? I'm hoping it is not!

Thanks again.
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,051 Senior Member
    I'm you're sincerely concerned, you might reach out to your assigned admission counselor.

And while I'm sure that the admissions isn't gonna be thrilled by the big drop in your semester GPA, it probably won't be a deal breaker.

If you did get a merit award, the GPA drop might possibily affect that. Again, if you have concerns, reach out to your admissions counselor.

If you're not sure who your counselor is, you can look that up here:

As an outside possibility, you could end up starting your first semester on academic probation. I have seen that happen....
This discussion has been closed.