Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

150 pass plan?

jellymanjellyman Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
edited June 2013 in University of Rochester
Hello, I will be freshman at rochester this coming fall.
I guess the 150 pass plan is new this year, and I'm not sure if it will get me through the whole semester. The guy I talked to on the phone told me 150 passes comes down to about 9 swipes per week, so just about dinner everyday and lunch every other day, and the rest of my meals would come from declining to spend amount. I like that there is more declining to spend amount, but I wouldn't wanna run out halfway through the semester. Aside from the dining halls, are there a lot of places you can eat at on campus? How expensive are they?
Post edited by jellyman on

Replies to: 150 pass plan?

• jellymanjellyman Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    oh, and are there places on campus where I can go grocery shopping? Like if I wanted bagles and fruit for breakfast for most of my week?
  • konayukikonayuki Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    I'm wondering this too. My mother is telling me to get an unlimited plan, since the 150 pass provides barely over 1 meal per day, but a lot of current Rochester students seem to liked declining and recommend less passes/more declining.
  • jellymanjellyman Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    my mom's telling me the same thing. But I seriously doubt I'm gonna be having three meals a day in the dining hall(which is what she thinks I should be doing), and I feel like it'll be a waste of money if I don't eat there three meals a day with the unlimited pass plan.
  • konayukikonayuki Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    Yeah, agreed- mine thinks I'll starve or something without unlimited, but even now I only eat one actual, sit-down meal per day, and I definitely don't eat regular meals at the same time every day.
    The only problem is the other places on campus- I checked them out, but it seems like a lot of them just offer bagels, pastries, sandwiches, etc. not a whole lot of variety. So I don't know how much I would eat at those places. Plus, I heard they are expensive, especially the market.
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,569 Senior Member
    You can get grab n' go bagels and fresh fruit at both dining halls using a swipe. There's a bagel bar in both Douglass and Danforth.

BTW, the fruit is local and organic.

Or you can use declining to buy bagels at Connections, Starbucks, or sometimes Pura Vida.

Fruit you can get at Hillside Market or Connections.

Declining is the most expensive use of your board $$. Dining hall meals are a better value since you're paying full retail cost at the other places on campus.

BTW, did you know that you can use your declining at a number of off-campus sites? The Distillery. Pizza Delivery. Au Bon Pain in the Med Center. Starbucks.

The dining halls have special theme dinners during the each semester. D2 used to talk about the [all you can eat] crab leg night at Douglass.
    Limited grocery shopping is available at both Southside Market (de Kiewiet) and Hillside Market (Sue B.) Both accept declining.

There are currently no nearby grocery stores. But you can take the weekend shuttle to Wegman's at Marketplace Mall.

There's also a CVS within walking distance of campus which carried limited selection of groceries, but no produce.
  • lilspike333lilspike333 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    WOWM, unless things have changed since I graduated, declining can only be used at on-campus dining facilities. Flex (aka UROS) can be used at off-campus locations, but is separate from the meal plans and requires depositing additional money to your account. Unlike the meal plans, having a Flex account is optional.
    You're right--it's Flex $$ I was thinking of, not declining.
This discussion has been closed.