Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Massive tuition increase

twitchy22twitchy22 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited October 2013 in University of Rochester
Estimated Cost of Attendance

The tuition bill is going to increase from $45372 to $50420.

Thoughts?
Post edited by twitchy22 on

Replies to: Massive tuition increase

• sally305sally305 Registered User Posts: 7,604 Senior Member
    That is JUST tuition!!!
    Direct Cost (Tuition and Fees)$50,420
    Room and Board$13,730
    Indirect Costs (Books, Supplies, & Misc.)$1,290
    International Travel$1500
    Personal Expenses$950
    Total$67,890

Absolutely insane. And I don't care how good a school it is. Almost $70,000 to be in college for four years in a place with horrible weather...no thanks.

Having said that, I am sure they discount a lot of kids' expenses with merit scholarships.
  • Latin4LifeLatin4Life Registered User Posts: 339 Member
    Wow. I just read an article recently that the cost of sending a child to school in 5 years will be around $85,000 per year. And in 18 years, it is projected to be about $204,000 a year. Ouch!
  • DeniseCDeniseC Registered User Posts: 1,069 Senior Member
    NOTE, the link above is from the estimate for INTERNATIONAL students and includes the following statement,

"International students do not pay higher university fees than domestic students. This estimate is higher than the current total cost of attending the University because it takes into account higher estimated travel expenses, insurance, and the possibility of a tuition increase for the coming year. In order to obtain a U.S. visa to study at the University of Rochester as an undergraduate, demonstrated ability to cover at least this figure is required."
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 8,817 Senior Member
    Here's the estimated cost of attendance for domestic students
    Expected Cost 2013-14
    Direct Cost (Tuition and Fees) $45,372
    Room and Board $13,128
    Indirect Costs (Books, Supplies, & Misc.) $1,290
    Transportation $600
    Other expenses $950
    Total $61,340

University of Rochester : Financial Aid

The $600 transportation cost allowance is probably too low unless you live in the NE.

Historically tuition & fees go up about 5% per year.
  • PinotNoirPinotNoir Registered User Posts: 2,554 Senior Member
    The expected cost for domestic students listed just above is for 2013/2014. The estimated cost for internationals listed above is for 2014/2015 and claims that the tuition + fees is the same cost for domestic and international students. So it looks like the rate hike for next year (2014/2015) is $45,372 -> $50,420, or 11%. That's a really big increase.
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 8,817 Senior Member
    Maybe...but UR hasn't yet officially announced what it's tuition for 14-15 is going to be.** IIRC, historically tuition rate increases are announced until the spring.

** I did deep site search and couldn't find 2014-15 rates anywhere except what's cited above.

And this document for internationals indicated that the $50,420 includes mandatory health insurance ($2200) and $820 additional health care fees that domestic students may not have to pay.

Tuition is listed at $47,400.

http://enrollment.rochester.edu/admissions/res/pdf/forms/ifs.pdf

That represents a tuition increase of ~5%.
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 3,541 Senior Member
    I'm hoping it's not that much... or else that aid increases too. We have one more expecting to start college that year (not sure where yet) and if finances don't work... it may be that both kids take a gap year to work or something (I wouldn't want to fund one and disappoint the other). I'll also admit to wondering if that's how they're funding College Town.
  • URFinAidURFinAid College Rep Posts: 26 New Member
    Hi all-

The tuition for he 2014-2015 academic year has not been announced yet as it will not be finalized until the spring when the Board of Trustees votes.

Financial Aid will work with students every step of the way in an effort to meet determined need for incoming students.

The Net Price Calculator on our website will be updated over the coming weeks with estimates for 14-15. Keep in mind that these numbers are only estimates of aid you may receive and are not a guarantee of financial assistance. The Net Price Calculator currently only works for domestic students and not international students.
    I should add that in our situation we're in a "special" case as we sold an investment property which will make it look like we more than doubled our income for the year. In reality, a large portion of the $$ went to repay family members who loaned us a bit to get through the economic downturn years. It won't show up that way though. Hence, specifically next year's college costs are a lingering concern. Seeing tuition potentially jump a bit adds to that concern. Having a new freshman start adds to that concern.

My guys have been warned that they may need a gap year. It will not apply to everyone reading. I would expect UR to continue to do a great job meeting need when need is demonstrated.
  • eyemamomeyemamom Registered User Posts: 4,611 Senior Member
    11?! eegads... as someone who doesn't get FA that's a huge jump for no discernible reason. I don't see any new facilities or new programs that make me think a jump that big is required. I better not be paying for "college town" that my child will never use.

So much talk around CC is about how costs MUST be peaking by now and yet we hear this. We planned specifically to save based on certain assumptions of average increases of 5%.

I'm guessing they're raising it because they can. They're letting an ever larger amount of students in each year, makes you wonder the thought process behind it.
  • RockBandMomRockBandMom Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    Yowsa... we are traveling from New England to Michigan to visit a school by car and thought we might stop to see the school, but I think we might just drive on by. As a parent, I just can't justify the cost. There are other schools that can provide an education AND allow us to give the student a brand new car to drive.
    RockBandMom - if you are going to be full pay AND don't think your student will qualify for merit aid, your decision is totally understandable.

If you qualify for need-based aid, UR tends to be quite generous...more than many schools.

If your student might qualify for merit aid, stop by to see if they want to try for it. It can be worth it.

My guy really loves being there... if it's the right fit for a student (a visit should let you know), it's worth seeing what you'll get. You can always decide later.
  • PinotNoirPinotNoir Registered User Posts: 2,554 Senior Member
    My guys love, love, love it there too!
  • Sdgal2Sdgal2 Registered User Posts: 847 Member
    RBM- definitely stop for a visit- I think you'll be impressed!
  • poetgrlpoetgrl Registered User Posts: 13,334 Senior Member
    No reason to stop and be impressed when you just have to tell the kid they can look but not go in. Waste of everyone's time, IMHO
This discussion has been closed.