Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Math classes?

Columbia09Columbia09 Registered User Posts: 1,012 Senior Member
edited April 2011 in University of Scranton
Hi everyone I will be attending the U this year and I'm majoring in biology. Scranton requires one semester of Calc 1 but theres pre requirements for that class. I'm currently taking a college level pre calc class and I have a 100 average. Do I still have to take pre calc in college or can they just put me in Calc 1? Also I know there is a placement test but you can't use a calculator which is bad for me. If you screw up on the placement test is it possible for them to put you in pre calc or even Calc 1? I would hate to be placed in a remedial math class for a year while i'm paying thousands of dollars for the school. Also for the current students, I just want to get by in math with an A- or better because i'm applying for med school so what professors do you recommended? Also if you have any recs for physics or chem professors that would be great.
Post edited by Columbia09 on

Replies to: Math classes?

• kitty56kitty56 Registered User Posts: 1,326 Senior Member
    From the experience of both of my kids, Scranton's math and science classes are quite rigorous. Yes, you will take a math placement test and you are correct in that you cannot use a calculator for that test. And, unless they have changed it, you cannot use a calculator on a test in at least certain math classes - I don't know about all of them.

If you score well enough on the placement test to be placed in calc. 1, you will still need to be prepared to work and study. It is not a piece of cake. I am not aware of any particularly "easy" math professors there. Unless you have a very strong aptitude for math, I would be careful thinking you "just want to get by in math with an A- or better". It could be harder than you think.

The same can be said for their chemistry and physics classes and professors. There a lot of students looking to go on to medical school, so the classes must be rigorous to prepare them.
  • Columbia09Columbia09 Registered User Posts: 1,012 Senior Member
    Yea I'm not a math person so i'm very nervous. I can't even do math without a calculator since I have been using it since the 8th grade. And thats really the year when my math grades picked up. Before that they were terrible. I just have to hope that they will allow me to use a calculator in Calc aand pre calc or I'm dead.
This discussion has been closed.