Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Class size for general subjects

mark2457mark2457 Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
Let's talk about class size for 101 type courses. 200+ and taught by a TA or is it something smaller?
Post edited by mark2457 on

Replies to: Class size for general subjects

• imagepimagep Registered User Posts: 628 Member
    Based on a conversation with a USC student last week, 300+ in his English 2 class, 170 in statistics. I think that is the largest drawback to attending most any mega-university.
  • mark2457mark2457 Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    Those AP credit are going to come in handy to jump over some of those classes.
  • Knights09Knights09 Registered User Posts: 1,739 Senior Member
    The English 101 and 102 classes are capped at 25 so having 300 is impossible.
    I believe it was an english class but I am possibly mistaken, maybe it was something else. I assumed it was English 102 because he is a second semester student, but maybe it was something else. I also may have gotten the 170 and 300 reversed. I do specifically remember that stats was one of the large classes because he explained that it is required for most major (although it is not required for my sons major).
  • wbmustardwbmustard Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Columbia Master Schedule for Fall 2011

You can check the max size for different classes here. English 101-102 classes are capped at ~22
  • AUGirlAUGirl Registered User Posts: 2,890 Senior Member
    ^I was actually looking at that. And it looks like a lot of class meet on M/W at the same time/same place and then they have a third "capped" meeting time on W or F.

Maybe I'm just mistaken... but it looks like they did that with US History.

With HIST 112 US HIST SINCE 1865 there are 12 classes that meet at 11:15-12:05 on M/W, but the third class of the week is independent and it looks like that's the capped part. So I guess you do a huge lecture for 2 lessons and a small class for 1?
  • Knights09Knights09 Registered User Posts: 1,739 Senior Member
    AUGirl, the two 11:15-12:05 classes are the big "lecture" classes, and the third random time is your discussion section.
    I was noticing that some of the science classes are capped at 300 students, but the labs for the classes are capped at 24. I also saw another class capped at 8. Class sizes seem to vary a lot.
This discussion has been closed.