Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Guaranteed acceptance in-state for 3.0 GPA and 1,000 SAT

pierre0913pierre0913 Registered User Posts: 7,652 Senior Member
Post edited by pierre0913 on

Replies to: Guaranteed acceptance in-state for 3.0 GPA and 1,000 SAT

• scmemberscmember Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    Just remember that the 1000 SAT is the Math and Verbal section only....this does not include the writing section.
  • AUGirlAUGirl Registered User Posts: 2,890 Senior Member
    ^That's still pretty low.

The mean SAT score in South Carolina is 985, which is also still kind of low.

And I'm guessing that 3.0 is weighted.

But what's wrong with USC taking all qualified students? We should try to increase college attendance rates in the state... not decrease them. Making it harder for SC students to go to USC would just make it harder for SC students to go to college in general.
  • imagepimagep Registered User Posts: 628 Member
    AUGirl, I agree totally. The purpose of a state supported school is to open doors, not to close them.

That said, I don't think that every student with a 3.0 and 1000+ SAT score was neccessarally given immediate admission. The girlfriend of one of my employees was waitlisted and she said she had over a 3.0 (unweighted) and scored over a thousand on the SAT. She was very frustrated as USC was the ONLY college she applied at, so she applied yesterday at "Upstate" yesterday.
    Awe. Yeah. That sounds a little off to me that every student was given admission with a 3.0 and a 1000+ SAT. It may have worked out like that for last year, but I had never read anywhere where USC guaranteed admission. If you look at their own graphs on the admission site, people with 5.0+ GPA's or 1500+ SAT scores have been denied from USC before. USC Undergraduate Admissions And only just over half of students with a 3.0 were admitted.

Upstate's a decent school. I love the George. I was able to visit it and sit in on a lecture and it's a really neat place. The students seemed to be really invested in what they were learning, which I thought was pretty cool. They've really done a lot in the past few years to make it a better school. I didn't know they were still accepting applications though. Interesting. I don't think anyone in my class applied there this year. The big schools seem to be Wofford, Furman, Clemson, and surprisingly USC. I don't think my school's sent anyone to USC in the past five years, but for some reason, there are three or four of us going there next year. Weird how things work out.
    Wow, most all of my son's friends are going to USC although one of them dropped by my business this morning and he was very excited to be going to Wofford.

Back in my day "the George" did not exist and the business school shared a building with the school of education. One of my business professors (who was a very serious dude) would get very irritated when they walked into their classroom which was also used for elementary ed classes and there were bits of construction paper all over the floor (from the education students having a class in bulletin board making).

I have yet to understand why they moved the business school 5 miles away from the main Upstate campus. Just doesn't seem convienient.

My son would have considered Upstate if they had a real music department, he actually takes piano lessons from one of their few music instructors. It's a very short drive for people who live in "B-Springs". He also takes trumpet lessons at Converse College.
    Out of a class of 43... I think we have six or seven going to Wofford. We have about four going to Furman. And I think we'll have three or four at Clemson. And then a whole other slew of places. Wofford's usually a popular back-up school, so it's not that surprising to me that we have a lot going there. I don't know many people who applied to USC. I think only seven or eight people applied there this year.

Yeah. I'm still confused as to why the new business school isn't actually on campus. The shuttle doesn't seem to be very user friendly.

Several of my friends took/take piano (and other things) at Converse, but most of them take lessons at my school. We've had the good fortune to have three piano teachers on staff who teach during the school day private lessons for k4-12. And then most of the kids in my band take lessons at our school from teachers who come in.

I love B. Springs, but I hate driving on Highway 9. The traffic has just become horrendous over the past several years from all of the growth.

Does Upstate have a music program at all? I know that they did several years ago and that it was growing... but for some reason I had in my mind that it had almost ceased to exist.
    From what I hear it has all but ceased to exist at Upstate. No music majors or minors and few performance opportunities. They do have several part time music instructors and a chorus and a couple of jazz ensembles. Someone told me that they dont even have the basketball pep band that they had when I went there. The college keeps growing but it is mostly nursing, education and business majors.
This discussion has been closed.