Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Honors-Capstone study abroad grant

GCBMIBGCBMIB Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
Passport Travel Grant application for study abroad for 2013 Maymester or Summer is due at 5pm on November 15. Any Honors or Capstone student thinking about studying abroad can apply including first semester freshmen. Grant is $2000.
Post edited by GCBMIB on

Replies to: Honors-Capstone study abroad grant

• GCBMIBGCBMIB Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
    I should have asked....has any one been awarded one of the Passport Travel Grants and what program was it for? How about other study abroad scholarships from USC?
  • scmom12scmom12 Registered User Posts: 2,770 Senior Member
    Several of my Ds friends used it for honors maymester trips last year - she went on one but it wasn't out of the country so she couldn't apply.
  • AUGirlAUGirl Registered User Posts: 2,890 Senior Member
    I'm not Capstone or Honors, so I didn't qualify. However, I am studying abroad this year, and I was successful in getting $11,500 in scholarships specifically for study abroad. I got money from the USC French Department, the Study Abroad office, and the US State Department. That was on top of all of my other financial aid. USC is pretty generous with study abroad money and the study abroad office is really helpful for applying for scholarships outside of USC.
  • fleagle10fleagle10 Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    I got the Passport Travel Grant for a Maymester in Tours, France years ago. I do not remember it being particularly difficult to get. As AUGirl mentioned, there are also departmental scholarships available, though they are in lower denominations.
  • AUGirlAUGirl Registered User Posts: 2,890 Senior Member
    ^The French Department is pretty generous and gives a lot of scholarships out for Tours.

As I recall, pretty much everyone who I know of who applied for funds from the French Department got them.

USC is really intent on sending students abroad, so they're pretty generous with giving out scholarships and helping you get them.

I really fully recommend studying abroad, because it's been an absolutely AMAZING experience for me so far. My core friend group in France right now consists of people from: Germany, the Netherlands, Australia, Singapore, Mexico, Lithuania, Canada, and the US. So not only have I gotten to learn about French culture, but I've also learned all about these other people's cultures and if I ever want to travel, I have a couch to sleep on.

I'm over here for the year, and three months in, I'm still not disenchanted with being here. So, with that being said, if anyone is toying with whether or not to go for a summer or a semester, I completely recommend going for a semester!
This discussion has been closed.