Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Library or Literary? class question

NJMOM3NJMOM3 Registered User Posts: 303 Member
My d is trying to make up her spring schedule and needs to take a one credit literary or library course and was wondering...is this online? Her advisor didnt say anything to her about it being online, but she said no times are showing so I am assuming it is. Just want to make sure from someone who has maybe taken this.
Post edited by NJMOM3 on

Replies to: Library or Literary? class question

• scmom12scmom12 Registered User Posts: 2,870 Senior Member
    The one hour library literacy class I see says it is web based which generally means online. This is part of information literacy in new Carolina Core which only started a few years back so you may not find many here who have done this, especially since some programs have a higher hour requirement for Information Literacy.

Each section does list an instructor so she could email to be sure that she doesn't need to work around something.
  • NJMOM3NJMOM3 Registered User Posts: 303 Member
    Thanks scmom12! I will have her email them...apparently you do not have to take it if you take both Eng 101 and Eng 102 on campus..but she has transfer credit for both so she has to take the course.
  • GCBMIBGCBMIB Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
    My DD has AP credit for Eng 101 & 102. At advisement for second semester, her advisor brought up the requirement for the one hour literacy class. News to her. She will also be taking it on-line in spring.
  • scmom12scmom12 Registered User Posts: 2,870 Senior Member
    ^^I think it depends on the college you are in....maybe similar to how different colleges have different foreign language requirements. The INF common core requirement says 0-3 hours, which says to me that it depends somewhat on your major as to what the actual requirement is.

Side issue: Good reminder that all freshmen need to print off the academic bulletin for their major and year since this is what you follow to graduate. Be sure and stay on top of the requirements - not all advisors may keep up with details. For instance, my D is junior and juniors and seniors are under the old general curriculum requirements (D is double major and is satisfying Curr 1 and Curr 2 for her degrees), but she was given option to switch to common core (decided against it -in her case it would add classes). So advisors can potentially have students under two systems and requirements for one year may not be the same for students the next year, and that doesn't even cover the students that are double majors in multiple colleges. Bottom line - the student is ultimately responsible for fulfilling all the requirements. So it's a good idea to start a file/folder now!
  • NJMOM3NJMOM3 Registered User Posts: 303 Member
    scmom12...yes..that is good advice. I made sure that my d has a copy of her required curriculum and I also have a copy here at home as well. I noticed that on the syllabus for English 102 the INF literacy course is included as part of the course, which makes sense as to why they insist you take the course if you are transferring in credit for Eng 102. It looks like the course basically is covering how to do research....which my d's AP English class covered...but oh well....guess it is a good review and it goes over APA format.

GCBMIB /\ It's definitely online right?
  • GCBMIBGCBMIB Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
    I just looked again at her schedule and the library class is gone, so cannot confirm. I have no clue what she is doing. That's good thing? She has not declared a major and is being advised under LAS. Will have to check with her....
This discussion has been closed.