Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Honors College Applicant Pool

Replies to: Honors College Applicant Pool

• coleman4coleman4 Registered User Posts: 366 Member
    I'm not sure the answer but curious of the same question. I commented on another thread that the date for that weekend is posted - March 1-3, 2014. My daughter got accepted in December but it's possible they could send the invite for the interview weekend along with the Honors notifications that go out in February (I don't know). I can't imagine them not doing that considering the date is only about 2-3 weeks later.
  • atlkaw6atlkaw6 Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    I believe that if you hear from the Honors College in December, you are in the running for the McNair Weekend. However, they only invite 41 to the McNair Weekend and sent out many more acceptances in December.
  • scmom12scmom12 Registered User Posts: 2,976 Senior Member
    Invitations to competition weekends for Carolina (in-state) and McNair are sent FedEx. D got her invite on a Saturday. Pretty sure these are sent out by Jan 31 (give or take a day).Honors college stuff should come regular mail as I remember it. With an end class of around 375 students, I agree that more acceptances are sent out in December than will end up invited to scholarship weekends.

Honors acceptances go out through mid February. IMO, the decisions about Carolina/McNair have been sent by that point since the Carolina weekend is the week before McNair so they would need to be coordinating with students by then.
  • DHopkinsDHopkins Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Savannahstar,
    Your stats are slightly below what is typically needed for admission to the SCHC, especially if you are out of state. The SAT needs to be closer to 1400 to have a chance. The weighted GPA of 4.6 is OK. The weight on the EC's and essays has been overstated in this forum, but they are considered. However, without the 1400+ SAT, your are more likely a candidate to be a Capstone Scholar at USC. South Carolina is a great school. I wish you the best. Let us know when you hear more.
  • Collegecrazy1996Collegecrazy1996 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    Savannahstar, I wouldn't give up hope. My stats were very similar to yours and I got my acceptance letter back in December. Writing is also my strong point, so my essays were pretty good. I definitely think my essays are what pushed me over the edge so to speak.
  • paigehuffypaigehuffy Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I got my acceptance into SCHC in December and my scores are lower. 1340 SAT/ 32 ACT and 4.8 GPA. It's not an incredibly prestigious and selective program, I believe you will get accepted.
  • Warrior21Warrior21 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    edited February 2014
    I got in with a 32 ACT and 4.5 Weighted GPA. My essays were really good though. It's the number one honors college in the nation, so it's an awesome school if you get in!
  • BDM1994BDM1994 Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    I didn't get in with a 30 ACT and a 4.37 gpa and OOS. Wasn't expecting it but why not try? I'm hoping to maybe get capstone scholar and some scholarships. Does anyone know when they release capstone decisions???
  • tookie411tookie411 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    So if my daughter got a letter welcoming her to College of Arts and Sciences, does that mean she didn't get in honors college?
  • scmom12scmom12 Registered User Posts: 2,976 Senior Member
    Was this just received or earlier? You can call honors college and check, but I think by now all invites to honors college have gone out. According to admissions website, decision pushed back by weather but anticipated to be mailed out by Feb. 19.....so they should be reaching students maybe through weekend depending on mail service. It is a separate letter from admission to university so you might want to check the first of next week to see it they are all out.
    Thanks scmom12...she was admitted to USC back in December and received notification that she would receive in-state-tuition plus additional scholarship. We knew the honors college letters were being mailed this week. Received the letter from Arts and Sciences today. We just got back this afternoon from touring "that orange school to the north that shall not be named" and ruled that out!
  • Collegecrazy1996Collegecrazy1996 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    @tookie411 I got my acceptance back in December for Honors College but I also received the Welcome to the College of Arts and Science letter, so I do not think they are related :)
  • NJMOM3NJMOM3 Registered User Posts: 306 Member
    BDM ...My freshman d rec'd her invitation to Capstone last year on March 8. Her scholarship letter came the same week...I believe a couple of days before the Capstone notification. The letter encouraged her to respond quickly about Capstone because of limited space in the program. We were told that they had a record number of Capstone scholars last year and that they had a tough time with the decisions. She did not apply to honors, however many of her friends on her Capstone floor did with some very impressive stats.Sounds like you have a very good chance. They also like a lot of EC's for Capstone.Good luck!
    collegecrazy1996-thanks for the info...hopefully will get honors yes or no tomorrow. We are so ready to get all the pieces to the puzzle so that a decision can be made.
  • StilltayStilltay Registered User Posts: 150 Junior Member
    D got honors rejection today (1400 sat and 4.5 w gpa). We are in georgia. She was annoyed mostly because she wanted that "feather in her cap". Looks like she will enroll in either Tulane honors or UNC Chapel Hill.
This discussion has been closed.