right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

So, who got in??

anoviceanovice 1301 replies75 threads Senior Member
Honors?

Stats?

Do you want to go there?

For me, I didn't even try for honors... couldn't get in and really wasn't interested in getting into it. Had a 28 ACT, 3.94 u/w, 4.6 w, lots of ECs incl sports, comm service and county and state level leadership positions. I got into the engineering school and am REALLY hoping that I get a (even small) scholarship. USC has the deal where if you get a scholarship you automatically get instate... which is really cheap. USC was my cheaper safety school even without aid.

Congrat to those who got in and my condolences to those who did not- I'm sure you'll find your place at another school.

So.... answer away!
edited April 2005
40 replies
Post edited by anovice on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: So, who got in??

• thiticalcrinkinthiticalcrinkin 191 replies22 threads Junior Member
    I got in to USC Honors. It's not my first choice school but in regards to the five schools I applied to it's somewhere in the 3-4 range right now.

As for stats: 1460 SAT / 3.96 uw GPA / A good number of ECs with a lot of devoted hours and state US Regional awards.
    · Reply · Share
  • chicagonobelchicagonobel 419 replies19 threads Member
    i have not yet recieved any letter...am i alone in this boat!

I know I got in USC, but have not yet heard from Honors.

stats:

33 ACT
    3.63/4.56 GPA
    top 5%
    2 science research papers
    excellent EC's.
    regional, state and national awards in Research.
    · Reply · Share
  • anoviceanovice 1301 replies75 threads Senior Member
    When do you get scholarship info?
    · Reply · Share
    January 31st-Carolina Scholars Finalists notified of their selection

February 18th-General University scholarships awarded

March 2005-Alumni Scholars selected
    · Reply · Share
  • PatrickPatrick 428 replies8 threads Member
    Doesn't everyone pretty much get into USC?
    · Reply · Share
    A large percentage of people do get in to USC, but the USC Honors College is quite selective (average SAT is 1400).
    · Reply · Share
    I don't think the honors program is really THAT selective... I know three kids who got in last year into honors... one with a 1380(or something similar... under 1400 though), one with a 1340, and another with a 1310. The two that now go there decided NOT to go with the honors program.... interesting. Anyone know why you wouldn't? They were saying how much more work it was and that it was so meaningless. Having honors on your diploma is a distinction and the smaller class sizes are a big plus, IMO. Thoughts?
    · Reply · Share
  • PatrickPatrick 428 replies8 threads Member
    The honors is supposed to be a better learning experience for the reasons you stated: smaller classes and the classes are supposed to be harder/more in depth. That's just what I've heard.
    · Reply · Share
    You also get perks like better freshmen housing and early registration.

Anyone a Carolina Scholars Finalist?
    · Reply · Share
  • BCgoUSCBCgoUSC 783 replies49 threads Member
    I got my Carolina Scholars Finalist letter last week. Does anyone know whether I can get General University/Alumni Scholarships in addition to Carolina Scholars?

1450 SAT (760-M) (690-V)
    780 - Math IIC SAT II
    670 - Writing SAT II
    690 - US History SAT II
    5's on US History and Calc AB AP Exams
    4's on English Language and European History AP Exams
    3.96 UW GPA
    4.81 Weighted GPA
    7 AP's this year

Any other Carolina Scholars Finalists??
    · Reply · Share
  • LScho87LScho87 13 replies1 threads New Member
    Did anyone get invited to be a Capstone Scholar? I did, and have never heard of it before...
    esp. I want to know if that scholarship will also give me instate tuition
    · Reply · Share
    Yeah it'll give you instate. It is between Honors College and Regular. It is basically Carolina Scholars on a minimal scale...Private Message me if you want more details on it.
    · Reply · Share
    Congrats everyone!

When did you get this, LScho87?

I don't think I'm going to get anything from University of South Carolina, which is somewhat disappointing. I applied and was accepted for the engineering department and was almost assured that I'd get some scholarships from numerous admissions individuals at the general university and the engineering school. For the out of state cost, it just isnt worth it to me. I've already gotten into University of Maryland Honors program which is A) a better school and B) cheaper because I'm instate.

... I will wait and see but I think they've already sent out their scholarships.

:(
    · Reply · Share
    You should get some kind of scholarship which then gives you instate tuition. USC Honors is gonna be awesome though.
    · Reply · Share
    We'll see...

I hope you're right! :)
    · Reply · Share
    i got the capstone scholarship yesterday, but i had been anxious about getting them so i e-mailed the school, and got an email back saying that other general scholarships would be sent out late this week or early next week, so you still might find out!
    · Reply · Share
    Woooo hooooooo!!!!

I was awarded the McKissick(spelling?) which is only like $2000 but then I qualify for instate which is a pretty big award. That makes University of South Carolina a really cheap school(for me atleast). It's still not my top choice(Lafayette College is) but I'm not sure if I can justify the mere $27,000 DIFFERENCE each year.
    · Reply · Share
    when did you get the letter about the mckissick?
    · Reply · Share
    yesterday... .....
    · Reply · Share
    congrats! what are your grades/ SATs?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity