Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

scholarship notice alert!

Replies to: scholarship notice alert!

• momwithquestionsmomwithquestions . Posts: 119 Junior Member
    She had low SAT's, so I was suprised when she was filling out the application on line that invited her to apply to honors. Her SATs were 1210/1600 (I can't remember what her SATs with the 2400 mark were....definetly in the 1700 but not 1800s.

I honestly don't know her GPA. Our school changed over to numbers only......so some grades are high 80s, others are low 90s. She is in the top 20-25%. So, she is not up with the elite.

Let me reiterate, we were NOT expecting acceptance into Honors, although the whole application did make her stop and think about alot of things, and I for one appreciated that in an application.

One thing that she had going was alot of ECs, and some very important leadership ones, and volunteer work.
  • GarrityGarrity - Posts: 497 Member
    Cathymee: I just verified that,although not guaranteed every single Capstone Scholar last year DID receive a scholarship sufficient to assure in state tuition.
    Essentially, both of us are correct. USC does not guarantee scholarships,especially in of the fact that transfers may not receive one. But every single Honor and Capstone student,newly admitted last year, DID receive a scholarship.
    One reason for the surge in applications to USC is the prevalence of scholarship awards ensuring in state tiution rates to all.
    I meant to say to all Honors and Capstone students.
  • namtragnamtrag Registered User Posts: 620 Member
    That's what I was unofficially told too. That my S would get at least a Cooper scholarship of $4k, along with Instate tuition. No guarantee, but almost certain.
    Thank you namtrag. I got it both officially and unofficially.
    Absolutely one of the very best educational deals in the country. And, probably the best International Business undergraduate major in the U.S.
    I sure hope we both heard correctly, because it's killing us not to know. My S really wants to go to USC, but unless he gets in-state tuition, it's not going to happen.
    Namtrag: My SOURCES are the best.I have spent years researching Honors Colleges and Programs and have very reliable and knowledgeable sources.
    You aren't actually a representative of the USC are you???? hahahahahaha!

Seriously, hopefully my S will get the McNair notice tomorrow, so we won't have to worry about the Cooper!!!!1
    No, I am not affiliated with any educational institution. I do,however, write on educational topics, and counsel low income candidates free of charge.
    I figured you weren't, was just funnin' you.

Yes, I can't figure out how the legislature and citizens of SC allow USC too give so much cash to OOS students. I guess they might actually be using some foresight to see how it might pay off 10-20 years down the road.

Here in Virginia, there would be riots if they tried to give OOS kids this kind of deal.
    Garrity

I saw earlier that you were asking for stats for HC admitted students.

Here are my son's

Weighted GPA: 4.4
    Unweighted: 3.9
    SAT: V 740, M 680, Writing (which they don't count yet) 750
    Not many EC's, but did get selected to go to the Governor's French Academy last summer, he is fluent in French.

He also got 5's on AP's in French, US History and Calculus

If it made any difference, we also visited with Davis Baird, and a couple of Dept heads (math and French) in August, and that was well worth it, not just for brownie points, but to really see what the U was like.
  • eadadeadad Registered User Posts: 2,759 Senior Member
    South Carolina is a fairly small state from a population perspective. They are able to attract higher quality OOS applicants than they might normally get with the merit aid which raises their SAT averages, yield, graduation rates etc. This aids in raising the overall profile of the school for things like USNWR and other rankings. In the real world it also adds more students with leadership potential etc. Along with the intelligence and leadership these students bring to the university, their hope is that many of them will fall in love with the state and stay and further benefit the state.
This discussion has been closed.