Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Sororities

Replies to: Sororities

• USCTexanUSCTexan Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    If a girl has rushed before it can hurt her chances when rushing again but doesnt exclude her completely. Phi Mu is colonizing on campus this year and from what i know tehy arent doing formal rush but if your daughter wanted to be a founding member that would be a great opportunity for her.
    carol-yes you have to get reccomendations from someone who is an alumnae of one of the sororities on campus. they can be alumnae from any university but of the sororities she's rushing.
  • wahinewahine Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    USCTexan, any idea how many girls are signed up for recruitment?? Have they set quota yet?
    i believe there are close to 1,000 at this point...there will be applications arriving and girls registering up until this sunday night when Recruitment orientation begins. They wont set the quota until they figure out the amount of girls who return for pref night (the last round).
  • eadadeadad Registered User Posts: 2,759 Senior Member
    D called last night after the first day of rush.

There are over 1000 girls going through the process this year. They had 17 "meet and greet" sessions yesterday. She was pretty exhausted but also very excited because she said there were a lot of really great girls in this year's freshman class. Being a senior she is a group leader and gets to mix and mingle and meet as many girls as is possible. I also sensed a bit of melancholy as the first of the "lasts" is starting to sink in.
  • New Gamecock MomNew Gamecock Mom Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    If you look online today at The Daily Gamecock there is an article and a youtube video about yesterday's Bid Day celebration. It is really quite the scene. I hope all who stated an interest on here received a bid.
  • DON HODON HO Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    Thanks sort of looks like a melee, but lots of fun. D reports excellent recruiting for her sorority, and she is thrilled that a couple new pledges are from the Honors Dorm.
  • athemomathemom Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    D had a great rush. Said rush enabled her to meet a ton of people, and she received a bid from the sorority she was very interested in. She actually didn't start out thinking she would join and sorority, and said she was rushing for the experience. As the week went on I could sense her getting more and more invested. By Friday night she was texting me and was super nervous waiting to see if she got the bid from them on Saturday. Luckily, it all worked out and she's thrilled.
  • wahinewahine Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    D also had a great RUSH!! It is funny how the girls really do end up in the sorority that fits them best, even if it wasn't their first choice to begin with.
  • fendrockfendrock Registered User Posts: 3,137 Senior Member
    For future reference -- from the article cited above:
    Donohue and Pressly were two of 780 students who received bids to a sorority on campus. It's the largest group of women ever invited to join, according to Director of Greek Life Ron Binder.....

Almost 78 percent of the women that began the week finished with a bid, the highest percentage to ever complete the process. It broke last year's record, when 73 percent followed through by joining.
  • cathymeecathymee Registered User Posts: 2,384 Senior Member
    fendrock
    what did your D decide to do about sororities/rushing?
    My d did not rush, and to date hasn't expressed any regrets about not having done so.
  • katytibbskatytibbs Registered User Posts: 516 Member
    I just have been talking to my sister- her D is at USC and decided not to rush. She is having a hard time making friends, since her roommate and her whole dorm floor rushed. I know my sister is worried that things won't work out for her daughter. Her D is so used to be being popular and thought she would love a sorority but didn't like the fact that she had to spend all of her waking hours with only her sorority sisters.
  • DON HODON HO Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    I'm a little confused by the phrase "spending all her waking hours with only her sorority sisters". This is not the case with my D -- she has plenty of friends not in her sorority, in fact she just went to Charleston with a group of them. A lot of the girls she hangs out with are in other sororities, but quite a number are independent. I would highly recommend that this girl join some of the other clubs on campus, D did that last year and has met some wonderful kids.
    katytibbs, it is taking time for my d to make friends as well (she did not rush).

She hasn't clicked with the girls on her floor, although she and her roommate get along well.

She seems to find it a good "introduction" when she runs into people from our home state. She has met several people in her classes this way and has spent some time with them outside class. Then she gets to meet people in their dorms, etc...
This discussion has been closed.