Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Starting in Fall 2011- Housing

No1sadvocateNo1sadvocate Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
edited February 2011 in University of South Florida
We need a housing thread for Fall 2011!

Who wants to live where, etc?

It would also be cool to try to find potential roomates with similar interests and dorm preferences.

I'll start:

Major: Electrical Engineering
My first choice is Magnolia because of the proximity to the engineering buildings. My other reason for choosing Magnolia is the fact that I would have a room to myself, which would help with studying. (especially for engineering)
My second choice is Juniper-Poplar, also for proximity.
Lizard- Do you think a freshman has a shot at getting a spot in Magnolia? I'm going to submit my app within the next week.
Post edited by No1sadvocate on

Replies to: Starting in Fall 2011- Housing

• lizardlizard Registered User Posts: 3,410 Senior Member
    No1,
    Not too sure what chances would be for Magnolia. Keep in mind Magnolia residents are mostly older upperclassmen and some of the complex is reserved for married students with children. Holly apts and Kosove apts. have freshmen too and might be better bets for getting in as a freshman. Freshmen on campus have to buy a meal plan, even when you live in campus apt. with kitchen, which doesn't make sense to me paying higher rent for apt. when you might not ever need a kitchen to prepare food having a required meal plan. You should give some consideration to living in the Engineering Living and Learning community that is housed in Juniper-Poplar near the engineering and new science bldg that is supposed to open fall term. The LLC for engineering freshman year can be a springboard for a fast successful start in the demanding engineering program. Maybe live in Juniper-Poplar freshman year in the LLC and live in a campus apt. your 2nd year after you get settled in at USF--you don't have to get meal plan 2nd year either.

http://www2.eng.usf.edu/ugadvising/ELLC.htm
  • No1sadvocateNo1sadvocate Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    Magnolia is so close to the engineering buildings, though!
    I was thinking of getting the 5 meal/wk meal plan if I live in an apartment. I would probably still use all of it, lol. That could be breakfast every weekday morning.
  • KaleidKaleid Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    Magnolia isn't exactly the easiest complex to get into as a freshman, but believe me, it won't matter where you live your freshman year because no matter what you do, your classes will be scattered all over. I'm also EE, and most of my classes were all over the place (BEH, PHY, LIF, CPR, CHE, NES, etc). It's not like it's a huge campus, it just looks big on maps. You can definitely walk from, say, the Argos area (holly, maple, castor) to the engineering area in just under 5 minutes. I've done it.
  • No1sadvocateNo1sadvocate Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    I've also thought about biking. I heard that bike theft is a real problem, though.

So getting into holly would be more of a possibility for a freshman?

I wish they took DE credits into consideration instead of lumping everyone as FTIC.
    Kaleid is right about classes being all over the campus even for engineering students-- especially freshmen taking general studies courses first year or two. I never was too hot on Magnolia and Juniper-Poplar housing because they are a little bit removed from the action on campus. I preferred dorms in Andros and Argos areas that are clustered NE of the Marshall Student Union. Too $800+/month for a campus apartment is out of my budget; I live right now in an apartment complex right across the street from USF and pay $425/month. Magnolia and Juniper-Poplar are sorta SW of the Marshall Center-- removed from most classroom buildings, the athletic district and the student recreation center--which is being remodeled and expanded right now.

I've got a bike I use every day on campus, it's a clunker/beater that I lock up with a nasty U-lock and steel cable combo--no one bothers with it. Don't leave a new $1000 Cannondale bike outside secured with a wimpy bow ribbon!
  • ufucfboundufucfbound Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    I might go there if I don't get into UF so I'm looking at Cypress, juniperpoplar, and Beta (:
    They're all really nice but Cypress and Beta are both really centralized whereas JP is in BFE. but I like Cypress because it's suite style, but at the same time I like Beta because I get to meet A LOT of people (: and I DO NOT want to live in apartments because I actually want to meet people instead of just having my own room. I have plenty of time to have my own room when I'm older. Lol
  • ad238ghad238gh Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    I want to do pre-med/bio as a freshman this year.
    which one do you think i should stay in? i want to stay in the one which is closer to all of my classes...
    You really can't go wrong with any of USF's dorms; classes are walking distance from any of the dorms.
  • KaleidKaleid Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    Ok, brief summary of the halls:
    *Andros area: (larger suite style) cheapest on-campus area, no matter which building. Built in the 60s, made of cinderblock. Safest place to be during tornado and/or hurricane warnings. Epsilon and Delta are the more spacious buildings.
    *Beta and Castor: (traditional style) most socially-open style, share bathrooms. Castor splits from side to side (girls and boys), but I'm not sure if Beta does as well. Beta contains a living learning community in part of it (probably INTO, I can't quite remember).
    *Kosove: (double-apartment style) You have an apartment, but about 6 people live in it, two in each bedroom.
    *Holly: (apartment-style) You have an apartment with 4 people, and your own room.
    *Cypress: (suite style) Cypress A is the only building that accepts /some/ first-years, it is the women-only community. The rest of Cypress is all upperclassmen.
    *Cyress apartments: All upperclassmen.
    *Maple: (suite style) very similar set up as cypress, all upperclassmen.
    *Juniper-Poplar: (suite style) mostly houses Living Learning Communities, only a few floors in Poplar are actually for regular first-years. Hardest building to get into as a freshman, so have at least a second and third choice.
    *Magnolia: (family apartments and student apartments)

One of the main things I'm trying to get across to you guys is that unless you're a transfer student with an AA, your classes will be literally all over the place for at least the first two semesters. It's just the way classes are set up. You can't help that. Where you live freshman year doesn't really matter in that sense, and considering the fact that upperclassmen get first dibs to pick their rooms and freshmen are just placed wherever they fit, you could end up anywhere, even a building you never requested as one of your choices, and you /will/ have to live with it.
This discussion has been closed.