Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

USF Honors

dancer5415dancer5415 Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
edited November 2013 in University of South Florida
Anyone know what the USF Honors college is like? Pros and Cons?
Post edited by dancer5415 on

Replies to: USF Honors

• Niquii77Niquii77 Registered User Posts: 10,104 Senior Member
    What do you mean by "what the USF Honors College is like"? What do you want in terms of? Majors? Class sizes? Scholarships? Cultural experiences? Social life? Man, I could go on and on...
  • dancer5415dancer5415 Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    Just like the advantages of being in an honors college vs being a regular student
  • ipodsingeripodsinger Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    What is the social life like in the honors college? Is it easy to make friends? Will I be left out if I do not drink or party at clubs?
    The social life in the Honors College is pretty awesome. Yes, you can have friends outside of the Honors College, but the Honors College does a great job at making a small, welcoming community within USF.

The Honors College has their honors classes which are a great way to meet tons of friends that you can go to Honors events to. It allows you to be surrounded by like-minded students that push you towards your best. Many of times they're in the same academic situations as you may be in so you can turn towards them for advice and such.

The Honors College has events that are tailored towards pure fun and socialization, interests and majors such as public health, and clubs and programs such as those who are interested in studying abroad or gaining a mentor within the community.

The Honors College has the Honors LLC where the majority of the Honors students live. All of Juniper is set aside for Honors students so you are living with your current classmates, future classmates, potential research partners, and friends. It's great.

From my experience, people have been welcoming. There will always be someone who is up to go do something at any hour. There are always people out and around.

You will not be left out if you don't want to drink and party at clubs. Contrary to belief the majority of college students don't drink. You will not be pressured,and, if you are, you are with the wrong group of people. Although you may not party at clubs, go to at least each of the clubs once. You can't write off something you don't know. There are a variety of clubs for different tastes.

Now, just because the Honors College is full of smart kids for think that we don't get out. Just like the rest of USF, you have the hard partiers and the ones who don't go out. You' find your group all in good time.
  • NextElementNextElement Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    I'm so pumped to be a part of it! Just got a letter from the Honors College today that I'm in! What do they mean about travel opportunities available to Honors Students? Do they mean seminars and stuff?
    You don't know how much your comment made me smile, NextElement! USF is truly a great place to be in and the Honors College is even better.

Travel opportunities simply means you are given opportunities to broaden your cultural experience. These opportunities can vary from taking an honors course that goes to another country at the end of the semester, to going on an Honors College sponsored international service trip in which you volunteer in another country, to going on an Honors College sponsored cultural immersion trip just to name a few.

If you want to travel, there are a number of Honors College professors who are avid travelers and are more than willing to guide you in the right direction. I know my friend was able to land an intership in another country for the summer through the help of the Honors College. The opportunities are endless of you use the resources provided to you by the Honors College.

What makes it even better is they give you scholarships to go!
  • WolfemanWolfeman Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    This may be a stupid question, but I was accepted into the honors college and my only concern is that honors college will be more academically challenging. I don't want my time taken up with school stuff if taking regular classes won't be as time consuming.
    I've just taken honors classes ever since I could, and I almost feel burnt out on it.
    Honors courses are not intended to add rigor to your course schedule. However, because honor students are able to handle higher level thinking, honors courses are geared to be directed and taught at a higher level than an average FLK course. This should be no concern for many honors students considering many have taken multiple honors and AP classes simultaneously. Just know that more is expected out of an honors student because they have demonstrated that they can function comfortably at that level.

My experience with honors courses has been a great one. I have only taken honors FLK courses and, thus, have no experience with regular FLK courses. The courses are challenging in a way that causes you not only to see the what and the why, but the to what effect and application of issues, beliefs, and such.
This discussion has been closed.