Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Placement Test: Math! Questions: Will I be ready? Study plan? How long is testing?

GoldeRetroGoldeRetro Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
Hi, I'm planning to major in civil engineering. In order for me to be on track w/ my classes (and their progression), I have to take Calculus I in this Fall semester of 2015. However, I've never taken Pre- Calc. In my last two years of high school I took IB Math Studies. And so, I have to take the college placement test for math and hopefully score high enough to be placed in Calc I.

I just want to know, how long is the actual exam? I only intend on taking the math portion. 1 hour? 2?
Also, I plan on taking it Wednesday, Aug 12th. ******************Am I leaving enough time to study for it? ********************

The thing is, I know Calc I isn't easy, especially for people who didn't take Pre-Calc.
************Can I SURVIVE this class like this?***************
It's like my only choice so I'm not a semester behind. If I don't take Calc I now, then I push back when I am eligible to take Physics, which then affects when I can take another class, etc. I just want to know if I can survive and do well. There are things I need to know from Pre-Calc to understand Calc I, I know. I don't really know what to do.

****I intend to get all the help I can from tutoring on campus, asking professor and TA what I can but, is that enough?****
All I know is that I'm still taking this placement test.

Thank you to anyone who can respond!

This discussion has been closed.