Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Sewanee for non religious student?

Livvy97Livvy97 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
Hi everyone!
I am applying to test-optional liberal arts colleges (hoping to major in history) and a friend suggested Sewanee. I know the Southern States can definitely be more conservative then places such as MA or ME, so do you think that would work for an international student from a big city (Milan) and who's not religious?

Thank you!

Replies to: Sewanee for non religious student?

• dadof1dadof1 Registered User Posts: 690 Member
    Sewanee does not force religion on any student, just as Duke does not force religion on any student.
  • ScaredNJDadScaredNJDad Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    edited October 2015
    Sewanee is Episcopal. I wouldn't be concerned. Currently, the head of the Episcopal Church in the US is a female Bishop and I believe the church will marry gay couples.

BTW, Muhlenberg is Lutheran and many Jewish students go there.
  • MidwestDad3MidwestDad3 Registered User Posts: 2,183 Senior Member
    Sewanee is a great school, and I hope you'll apply. Don't worry about the religious affiliation. Like most US schools, they have students of many faiths (or no faith).

It is rather rural, so coming from a large, European city will require an adjustment. But students love it. I imagine admissions would put you in touch with an international student there if you have specific questions.
  • Livvy97Livvy97 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    @MidwestDad3 thank you! It looks great and I am sure I will apply there. To be fair, the fact that it's rural is no problem to me; I'd love a break from the city, and plus I went to a fairly rural boarding school in england for high school so I'm used to it
This discussion has been closed.