Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

Advice and Tips on Interviewing for Trustee/Presidential Scholarships!

1235»

Replies to: Advice and Tips on Interviewing for Trustee/Presidential Scholarships!

• kbn2015kbn2015 Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    do finalists compete with other kids in the same major for the scholarships? or with other kids in the same school?
  • madbeanmadbean Registered User Posts: 3,219 Senior Member
    Yes, it's by major. Each major is allotted a number of scholarships so they are spread evenly across USC's incoming class.
  • cag60093cag60093 Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    @madbean, if a student receives the Presidential award, is he still eligible to receive the one time $2500 from NMSC bc he's a NMF? Or does a student get the President because he is NMF and there is no additional award from NMSC? My S17 will attend the USC Explore event next week. He has not notified any schools yet that he is NMF.
  • madbeanmadbean Registered User Posts: 3,219 Senior Member
    Please double check--but here on CC many report that student is indeed eligible for one-time $2500 NMF. However, I believe if they decide to waive that award, USC will pay them an additional $1000/year merit--so it turns out to be a better prize that way. Your S can ask about this at Explore, and he doesn't have to declare with NMF until May 1, so plenty of time to get this straight. Congratulations!
  • cag60093cag60093 Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    @madbean - thank you. Yes, he'll ask next week. He's really looking forward to the event.
  • 3tallblonds3tallblonds Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    @cag60093 my Ds are both NMF/Presidential at USC. One got the $2500 NMF award and one got the additional $1K /year merit. I'm not sure how that happened but clearly the $1K/year was a better deal.
  • easygoing1234easygoing1234 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Heyy i got the scholarship with a 4.0 2400!
1235»
This discussion has been closed.