You guys know the deal, second semester GPA dropped by .1 kinda devastated ranks are finalized this is what ill be applying with basically, retook my SAT's go a higher score.
GPA: 3.7 (unweighted) this year has been pretty bad :(
SAT: retook 1430
Class Rank: In top 10%
Race: African-American/First-Generation born in America (Nigerian)
Any other hooks: Parents just got divorced, been alone living with my mom for 3 years/ Single parent household
Major Awards: NSDA Distinction Degree, W Award, Honor Roll, pretty much it so far.
USC: Keck School of Medicine for Global Health
NYU: School of Social Work
Georgetown: Nursing and Health Studies
Major: Global Health (SUPER PASSIONATE ABOUT)
Minor Hopefully: Women and Gender Studies or English
Class rigor: pretty intense... I've taken almost all of the AP classes offered at my school - except like 2 in total 13 AP's and 7 honors never have taken a regular class in my life
- President of debate team member of National Speech and Debate Association
- National Honor Society (President. woohooo recently elected)
- Class Vice President
-Created a Club known as Girl UP which raises money for the United Nations for Girls all over the world (President). We started a drive at our school that collects pads, tampons, and other stuff for women at Haven for Hope. Created an annual color run called: A Walk in her shoes open to the whole school district. Sending money to the United Nations Girl Up foundation. Started a girl's camp over the summer that has different activities for girls at my school. Culture fest for different cultures at my school to raise money and awareness.
- Participate in food distribution for church every month.
- Future Physicians Club (Secretary); Just a career based club where talk about health professions and visit different
- Youth Community Leader for church; I organize all the community service activities and clothing distributions that youth in the church does.
- Pianist in my church choir play every Sunday
- Volunteer work at University Health System (75 hours+)
- African American Culture Club
-Working at a family business since I was 8 or 9
Letters of Rec I'm getting
-AP Bio Teacher also the sponsor for m club/very close relationship. Georgetown Alumni
-AP Stats Teacher: Also pretty close with
-Debate Coach: Extremely close with
-AP English Teacher: knows my writing and personality
-Topics I'm considering writing about
-I really want to reflect my passion about helping the community and my trip to Nigeria. My trip was what really what made me decide that I wanted to pursue the major I wanted to pursue public health with a concentration in social work
- Kind of piggy backing of the first idea: I wanted to write an essay about women in Africa and how I feel as a Nigerian-American girl about child marriage, why I started Girl Up.
- My dad's store being a victim of the Ferguson Riots back in Summer '13
- Debate giving me a voice and how it inspired me to take initiative in our community (my personal experience with debate)
I want to make it show that I'm extremely hard working and I have the potential to succeed. I work really hard in everything and I try to put in my all so I can succeed. I really want to get into these schools and I hope it comes across that even though my GPA isn't like a 4.0, I'm dedicated and want to change the world in a positive way. Thanks for any feedback :)