Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers
Can I get into USC, NYU, Georgetown (updated chance me)
You guys know the deal, second semester GPA dropped by .1 kinda devastated ranks are finalized this is what ill be applying with basically, retook my SAT's go a higher score.
GPA: 3.7 (unweighted) this year has been pretty bad :(
SAT: retook 1430
Class Rank: In top 10%
Race: African-American/First-Generation born in America (Nigerian)
Any other hooks: Parents just got divorced, been alone living with my mom for 3 years/ Single parent household
Major Awards: NSDA Distinction Degree, W Award, Honor Roll, pretty much it so far.
USC: Keck School of Medicine for Global Health
NYU: School of Social Work
Georgetown: Nursing and Health Studies
Major: Global Health (SUPER PASSIONATE ABOUT)
Minor Hopefully: Women and Gender Studies or English
Class rigor: pretty intense... I've taken almost all of the AP classes offered at my school - except like 2 in total 13 AP's and 7 honors never have taken a regular class in my life
- President of debate team member of National Speech and Debate Association
- National Honor Society (President. woohooo recently elected)
- Class Vice President
-Created a Club known as Girl UP which raises money for the United Nations for Girls all over the world (President). We started a drive at our school that collects pads, tampons, and other stuff for women at Haven for Hope. Created an annual color run called: A Walk in her shoes open to the whole school district. Sending money to the United Nations Girl Up foundation. Started a girl's camp over the summer that has different activities for girls at my school. Culture fest for different cultures at my school to raise money and awareness.
- Participate in food distribution for church every month.
- Future Physicians Club (Secretary); Just a career based club where talk about health professions and visit different
- Youth Community Leader for church; I organize all the community service activities and clothing distributions that youth in the church does.
- Pianist in my church choir play every Sunday
- Volunteer work at University Health System (75 hours+)
- African American Culture Club
-Working at a family business since I was 8 or 9
Letters of Rec I'm getting
-AP Bio Teacher also the sponsor for m club/very close relationship. Georgetown Alumni
-AP Stats Teacher: Also pretty close with
-Debate Coach: Extremely close with
-AP English Teacher: knows my writing and personality
-Topics I'm considering writing about
-I really want to reflect my passion about helping the community and my trip to Nigeria. My trip was what really what made me decide that I wanted to pursue the major I wanted to pursue public health with a concentration in social work
- Kind of piggy backing of the first idea: I wanted to write an essay about women in Africa and how I feel as a Nigerian-American girl about child marriage, why I started Girl Up.
- My dad's store being a victim of the Ferguson Riots back in Summer '13
- Debate giving me a voice and how it inspired me to take initiative in our community (my personal experience with debate)
I want to make it show that I'm extremely hard working and I have the potential to succeed. I work really hard in everything and I try to put in my all so I can succeed. I really want to get into these schools and I hope it comes across that even though my GPA isn't like a 4.0, I'm dedicated and want to change the world in a positive way. Thanks for any feedback :)