right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

USC class of 2023 Applicants Thread

Replies to: USC class of 2023 Applicants Thread

• WWWardWWWard 2691 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    In fact... here is a detailed explanation of all things related to the Merit process... provided by @CADREAMIN last year.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-southern-california/2048320-merit-packages-what-when-how-p1.html
    · Reply · Share
  • prouddad2020prouddad2020 93 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @WWWard Thank you for the info!
    · Reply · Share
  • romns116romns116 606 replies32 threadsRegistered User Member
    Yes, Thanks @WWWard !

2022 Discussion Milestones:
    Post #314 - Packet Mailing Date Announced
    Post #532 - First Acceptance Packet Received
    Post #925 - Sample Merit Rejection Letter/Email
    · Reply · Share
  • ameliorationsameliorations 4 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Hey all! Here to join the pre-decision woes :') 'SC is my number one right now but I think I screwed up my essays (I feel like they may have come off as immature or hastily written) so I'm suuuper nervous :-SS We still have about a month to go until merit decisions are released but I'm already getting antsy.

I heard that people who receive merit scholarships are typically people that 'SC knows the ivies would want so they try and draw them in with financial aid. Can anyone attest to/corroborate that?
    · Reply · Share
  • ct7101ct7101 29 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I'm feeling the same way- starting to doubt my supplementals. USC is my top choice but I do admit that I procrastinated my supplementals quite a bit and I am not feeling confident in my overall application. Ugh.
    · Reply · Share
  • WWWardWWWard 2691 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
  • KkchrisKkchris 8 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    edited December 2018
    Hi everyone, I have submitted my application at around 6 pm PST on December 1st but I just checked on the USC student portal it says they were submitted on December 2nd. On the common application, it says I submitted the application on December 1st 10 pm EST. Is this a common problem of the USC portal? Would this stop me from being considered in the merit-based scholarship? I appreciate all the help in advance.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • ExactleeExactlee 9 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    @Kkchris I applied last year and the same thing happened to me but I was still considered for the scholarship so you should be fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • CADREAMINCADREAMIN 5459 replies102 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    @kkchris this question was asked and answered several times up thread. You are fine. There is a time you submit and a time that it is downloaded by CA and USC - the time you submitted is all that matters, they see that.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • deadbird11deadbird11 29 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    when do we hear back from USC? Is it a different date if we applied for scholarships?
    · Reply · Share
  • ameliorationsameliorations 4 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    @ct7101 I'm totally in the same boat! Glad to know someone else can understand the way I'm feeling. I though my supplements were okay when I sumbitted but as I've been working on my January deadlines I feel like I did them all wrong... :((
    · Reply · Share
  • deadbird11deadbird11 29 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Also, how do I send a letter of recommendation from my boss? It won't let me assign him on the Common Application thing. I am not applying to the School of Cinematic Arts or whatever, and I already have my college counselor and two teachers assigned. Thanks in advance!
    · Reply · Share
    Do you really need to have it sent given that you have already sent all they have asked for? Is it going to say something unique and extraordinary compared to the others? If it lends a perspective you feel is valuable for them to have, he can mail it to USC Admissions. But keep in mind, if everyone sent one extra piece of information for their file, that would be 64,000 extra pieces of paper they have to deal with. So ensure it truly adds value, not just quantity.
    · Reply · Share
  • frenchfry7123frenchfry7123 11 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    From what I know, USC only accepts letter of rec's from teachers which is why you can't assign him, sorry!
    · Reply · Share
    ^^^ Not true, anyone can mail in a recommendation, whether it adds value or they give it consideration is the real issue. Here is a USC blog on them:

https://admissionblog.usc.edu/asking-for-letters-of-recommendations-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/
    · Reply · Share
  • k1ngp1nk1ngp1n 15 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @CADREAMIN @deadbird11 also, you can email it to your admissions counselor. I called the admissions office bc I was in the same boat, and they told me to do that. Make sure the recommender mails it in along with ur USC ID and Common App ID. I did it because it coincided with my major, so the choice is up to you.
    · Reply · Share
    Good reminder @k1ngp1n. Also, be sure the recommender is the one mailing/emailing it. Don't (as the applicant) do it for them, or it's pretty pointless.
    · Reply · Share
  • romns116romns116 606 replies32 threadsRegistered User Member
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-southern-california/2023383-usc-class-of-2022-p1.html

2022 Discussion Milestones:
    Post #314 - Packet Mailing Date Announced
    Post #532 - First Acceptance Packet Received
    Post #925 - Sample Merit Rejection Letter/Email

Post #2463 - Non-Scholarship Decisions Sent (USPS 3/23)

· Reply · Share