right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

USC vs Duke!

2»

Replies to: USC vs Duke!

• brantlybrantly 4322 replies78 threads Senior Member
    edited April 8
    @socaldad - i've seen your posts in the duke threads. i do wonder what are your thoughts about the possibility of duke being online fall 2020? i have to admit that weighs a little in my parents and my decision, paying more for virtual classes. and from your username (socal), i guess you're actually pretty familiar with usc, visited, etc? (did your dd apply there?)

I'm not socaldad, but I'm wondering if the chances of Duke being online in the fall are any different from the chances of any other college.

edited April 8
    · Reply · Share
  • firmament2xfirmament2x 678 replies6 threads Member
    @WWWard . . . no offense, but Niche is garbage.
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 2945 replies8 threads Senior Member
    I would choose neither. The economy is in a state of major recession, which means many more layoffs, or businesses going south. If a parent gets laid-off, both schools will become unaffordable VERY quickly. That scenario is already happening on THIS forum right now. If I were you, I would choose a school that I could mostly pay my way through with little cost from your parents (in-state) public.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mariposa2Mariposa2 30 replies8 threads Junior Member
    Definitely Duke. USC's brand has been severely tarnished by no fewer than three major scandals and several more minor scandals in the past three years. President Folt has been brought in to clean house but that is going to take a while.....
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 5466 replies21 threads Senior Member
    coolguy40 wrote: »
    I would choose neither. The economy is in a state of major recession, which means many more layoffs, or businesses going south. If a parent gets laid-off, both schools will become unaffordable VERY quickly. That scenario is already happening on THIS forum right now. If I were you, I would choose a school that I could mostly pay my way through with little cost from your parents (in-state) public.

You essentially post this same thought on every thread: "Pick the cheapest option. The economy is in the toilet." We get it. :smile:

I'm an optimist. I believe we'll get through this sooner than later and the economy will eventually return. Personally, I wouldn't make any hasty college decisions based on being near the bottom of this epidemic.
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 2481 replies34 threads Senior Member
    edited April 8
    coolguy40 wrote: »

What you fail to realize is that there are many families who have actually PLANNED for their kids college education for 17+years and have a college savings plan already in place instead of waiting to the last minute to figure out how to pay for their kid's college, etc. This is exactly why I always say "save early and often". While there may be some families who are laid-off, the vast majority of families are still working and will continue to work. We will get through this just like 2008/2009 and other disruptions to the economy.
    edited April 8
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 2481 replies34 threads Senior Member
    calif2020 wrote: »
    all the responses have been really helpful. thank you so much for your thoughts.

@socaldad - i've seen your posts in the duke threads. i do wonder what are your thoughts about the possibility of duke being online fall 2020? i have to admit that weighs a little in my parents and my decision, paying more for virtual classes. and from your username (socal), i guess you're actually pretty familiar with usc, visited, etc? (did your dd apply there?)

Yes, unless things change drastically, my belief is that the vast majority of colleges will be online in the fall. I just don't see a scenario where you can have 10,000+ college kids and 2,000 faculty members interacting in person on a daily basis without spreading the virus. Maybe small, rural colleges might be able to have a somewhat normal fall on campus but not for other colleges like USC and Duke. My D20 is already expecting to be home with online instruction in the fall. The best we can really hope for is a vaccine in the next 9 months, until then I just don't see it happening.

With that said, my D20 toured and applied to USC. She pulled her app once she was accepted ED to Duke but she liked USC. She would have been in Marshall School of Business if accepted but it's a little too close to home as we also live in Los Angeles county. D20 wanted to "go way" to college.

Look USC is a great college with many Top 10 programs, great school spirit, athletics, excellent alumni network and is well respected by employers. But Duke is different, it's much smaller, more interdisciplinary, and you can really study anything, and has a collaborative feel within its student body. Is Duke worth the extra 80K, only you and your family can decide that.
    · Reply · Share
  • calif2020calif2020 14 replies3 threads Junior Member

Look USC is a great college with many Top 10 programs, great school spirit, athletics, excellent alumni network and is well respected by employers. But Duke is different, it's much smaller, more interdisciplinary, and you can really study anything, and has a collaborative feel within its student body. Is Duke worth the extra 80K, only you and your family can decide that.

thanks! it's actually only a 20K difference, so it's not out of the realm and we go back and forth whether the prestige/small interdisciplinary focus is worth it. i think i'd prefer a smaller community but it's really finances and deciding whether 'duke' is worth the extra $. most of the time we are leaning yes.... although usc marshall seems like a fantastic fit for business.

did you dd think of applying for a gap year (considering probability of virtual fall semester)?
    · Reply · Share
  • lkg4answerslkg4answers 2261 replies246 threads Senior Member
    Have you spoken to Duke students from California and asked about how easy or difficult it is to set up internships in California? They have a Duke Univirtual Kickoff Experience (DUKE) where you can ask questions of current students, admissions officers, etc.
    · Reply · Share
    @socaldad - also is your DD planning to return to CA after graduation? I hope to live in CA and wondering if that should factor into my decision (seeing as the USC connections may be stronger in CA?)
    · Reply · Share
    @lkg4answers

i don't know any duke students in CA. where is the Duke univirtual experience? i haven't heard of that.
    · Reply · Share
  • lkg4answerslkg4answers 2261 replies246 threads Senior Member
    @calif2020 I think they sent out email invites this week. If you didn't receive one, ask your parents if they did.
    · Reply · Share
  • arbitrary99arbitrary99 176 replies5 threads Junior Member
    If money truly isn’t an issue, then definitely Duke. But $80,000 is substantial.
    · Reply · Share
  • DoodlesackDoodlesack 133 replies0 threads Junior Member
    shaneman wrote: »
    Making the case for SC.

I posted this on a similar post:

Attending USC has been the greatest decision of my life, and of every single one of my SC friend's lives. The atmosphere on campus is like no other; the campus is like no other; the balance of academics/athletics/and a vibrant social scene is like no other. It is the Disneyland of colleges. It's ashame you can't visit right now due to coronavirus but oh my god USC is such the move. Everyone is just so happy to be there. I have friends at UCLA and Hopkins literally hating their lives and wishing to be at SC. I feel bad and even have to tone it down SC is THAT good. You don't want to turn that down. The connections you make at SC...the Trojan family is unparalleled. IN LA?! College with the most beautiful amazing weather in the world....COME ON. I took SURFING at SC. Oh also SC has literally the most attractive student body ever. You're one of us. We are family. Make the right move. Fight on baby

Also, this option is 80k!!! cheaper?!?! I'd understand spending the extra cash on Hogwarts over SC...but Duke? No disrespect but SC is where it's at

That's true about the UC's, I'm at Berkeley and I would like to kill myself or wish I was dead. I didn't have good options tho well Columbia but I could not afford it and wanted to be in a college town and not in a jungle made of metal with trillions walking around manhattan everyday.
    · Reply · Share