right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Transferring from community college into a UC

socal25socal25 14 replies9 threads Junior Member
Hello Everyone,

I am 36-years old, and I am attending a community college in California.

I currently have a 4.0 GPA for transferrable units, and I have completed all my GE courses. I am majoring in math and currently taking precalculus. I will be taking calculus I in the fall and subsequently take all the way up to calc IV. I think I will be getting a B in this class, and I anticipate getting a couple of Bs in my future math class, although hoping for as many As as possible. I did not have a solid foundation in math in HS, as I did not fully apply myself and subsequently dropped out in the 11th grade. My study habits are also terrible, and I work full time and am a single father, which makes it that much more difficult. However, I love math and have found that I have an intuition for it, but it is still challenging, especially during exams as I get extremely anxious. Nevertheless, I plan to improve my study habits and fully apply myself to all future classes.

So, my question is, what would be my chances of getting into a good UC if am able to finish with at least a 3.8 in my community college? Before I had my full-time job I was the treasurer of two clubs at the campus and I was also a writing tutor. I have an excellent letter of recommendation from one of my English teachers in a class in which I finished at the top of my class. I also have and another letter from my geology professsor. I am hoping to get a solid recommendation letter from at least one of my future math professors, and I am almost certain that I can get a really good letter of recommendation from one of the executives at my job (not saure this would help?). . Furthermore, I think i can write a very solid essay and have a good story to tell about myself.

I know its probably premature, but if I finish with a GPA 0f between 3.7 & 4.0 and considering the aformentioned points, would I have a good chance to get into any of the top UC's or even somewhere like USC?

Thanks in advance!
edited July 31
1 replies
Post edited by CCEdit_Suraj on
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Transferring from community college into a UC

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 31026 replies483 threads Forum Champion
    Note form UC Forum Champion:

@socal25: I moved your identical discussion into the UC Transfer forum. Since you are showing an interest in USC, I will move this discussion into the USC forum.

· Reply · Share