Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Laptop or Desktop

kobe1federer1kobe1federer1 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
Going to Marshall and I was wondering if the Laptop is far and away the better choice for USC or is it about as convenient as a Desktop. Thank you grasshopper.
Post edited by kobe1federer1 on

Replies to: Laptop or Desktop

• lonefrecklelonefreckle Registered User Posts: 269 Junior Member
    A laptop is just more convenient in general. I know friends who have a desktop and make it work, but most people seem to like having a laptop, bringing it to lectures, the library, etc.
  • cc411cc411 Registered User Posts: 1,724 Senior Member
    #1 son just graduated from Marshall. He had a laptop and it worked out great for him because he would bring it to study groups, etc. #2 son will start Marshall in the fall and he has a desk top he wants to bring. He is in to computer gaming and doesn't like the performance of the laptops. He's not worried about not having a portable computer. So- it depends on the individual.
  • amazon3001amazon3001 Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    A laptop by far. Personally I'm a computer nerd and will have both, but if you have to choose one, go for the laptop. Also, I work at an Apple Store, and from the dozens of college students I talk to each day laptops seem to be the overwhelming consensus.
  • For5akenFor5aken Registered User Posts: 739 Member
    I had both. Laptops are great for classes where you have to jot down everything the professor says. Plus you can play games/Facebook when lecture gets boring.

I only had a desktop first semester, and I got along fine without a laptop.
  • momoney77momoney77 Registered User Posts: 271 Junior Member
    D has a laptop and S is opting for a desktop. It's definitely personal preference.
  • jameshierchyjameshierchy Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I got a desktop since it was cheaper, and I can't say I'm too sorry. I haven't really had the need to bring a laptop anywhere even if I had one.
  • powerabe13powerabe13 Registered User Posts: 399 Member
    It really is a matter of personal preference. I know people who bring only a desktop, people who bring only a laptop, people who bring both a desktop AND a laptop, and "other," haha. I personally prefer a laptop because it is portable and can get wireless internet access in various parts of campus. It helped me a lot if I needed to bring a laptop to the library and look at some lecture slides. Another plus side to a laptop is the ability to bring it to lecture and type notes, especially if you don't handwrite notes very fast/well. If you're a good note-taker, then it's not a problem. So really, the laptop vs. desktop debate is a matter of personal preference, as my predecessors have stated.
  • vanessamavanessama Registered User Posts: 311 Junior Member
    laptop would be more convenient.
This discussion has been closed.